Prism Sunshine Petunia F1 hybrid

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I grew these soft yellow petunias from seed last year, and they were lovely in a hanging pot. Bloomed for a long time and held up in the weather.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I saved seed from mine and they came back true. Shocked me.

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

Yes i grew them last year but did not save any seeds with them being F1, so its never too late to learn things. Just growing a mix of different colours this year not just yellow.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Good to know, Brugie! I'll collect seeds this year. I've had good luck with second generation seeds from the Waves, too, but they seem to revert on the third generation. Still, it's fun to grow them all.

Our summers are a bit wet for petunias, but I still love them. I've purchased a couple old fashioned varieties that should come back true to seed, and they seem to have a much better fragrance.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Our summers are almost totally dry and we walk around with the water hose in hand most days for long periods of time. I'd love to have some of your moisture, but don't know if I could handle your dark winters and the cold and so much snow. Guess I should not complain about the dry summers anymore.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Brugie: We had a dry spell last summer, and my DH and I grumbled about all the watering we had to do..guess we're pretty spoiled! I was raised in Indiana, so I know how hot it can get in the summer...and humid. Our summers are like what we used to call "Indian Summer" .. soft warm breezes and temps in the 70's at most... but they are short!

Petunias must love your weather. Here they can turn to goo in the heavy rains and stick themselves to every other plant in the pot. I generally try to keep them tucked under the eaves where they are protected from a deluge.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I am jealous of the kind of weather you have in the summer. What temps do you have at night or do they stay about the same all the time because of the light? I just came in from the greenhouse and it is spitting hard pellets out there now. Still no snow, but you won't hear me complain about that.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

The warmth of a summer day cools right down when the sun goes down behind the mountains in the late evening. Our town is surrounded by mountains, some of which keep a cap of snow in summer, so the breeze off the mountains keeps the temp cool at night. We use flannel sheets on the bed all year round. I sure don't miss those hot summer nights in Indiana, but I do miss the sound of the crickets!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

You can sure have some of our crickets. I don't mind listening to them, but they are a pain when one gets in the house and chirps all night. The worst thing we have had in recent years was the 17 year locusts. There must have been millions of them in our yard. They came crawling out of the ground, (white) like ants and were so ugly. We couldn't sit on the deck for six weeks because they were crawling all over the place and us. They ruined a lot of our trees, the small ones. I'm so glad they only come out one time in every 17 years. I'd be moving away from here. Wish I had my digital camera back then.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Well, Brugie, we don't have locust here, at least none I know of. They can sure be destructive. We don't have frogs here, or snakes...I miss the toads & frogs, but not the snakes!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Glad you don't have snakes. I nearly wet my pants one day in the greenhouse when one came slithering out from under the bench. My DH thinks they are great. I told him when he had to pay my funeral expenses because one of them caused my heart attack, he might think differently. Guess I better go out and check the temps again in the GH. Such a nasty and gray day. Have a good one.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You, too, Brugie..watch out for snakes!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.