Daylilies

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

How many hem heads are here at Dave's anyway?

I don't consider myself one :-] Gettin' close though!

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi poppysue,

I am a newbie here, but also a "hem nut" . I was bitten by the bug a year ago, now I want them all. I started hybridizing as well. I love this site. I love gardening and anything related to plants.

Sally

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Hemhead steppin' up!

puttyrat, how is the hybridizing going? I'm starting this year with my hems and some iris.

I started some seed from my stella's but don't know who the other parent was...they are coming up but only time will tell what they will look like...

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I started daylily seeds for the first time this year. I traded for some hand crosses. I can't wait to see how they turn out. I've never been a big daylily fan but last year I was bitten by the bug too and I traded for about 50 different kinds. They've all been sleeping in my vegetable garden for the winter. I'm praying they all make it - it got kind of late to be planting when I got the last trades. I've been trying to figure out how I'll incorporate all of these into my beds. I gotta make a lot of room some how!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Hi,
Don't know if I'm a "Hem Nut" yet, I only have about 600 of them!! I have 150 varieties that I bought and the rest I hybridized myself. They take 2-3 years to bloom from seed, but it's worth the wait.
Be careful when crossing certain colors so as not to get "muddy" colors, and remember that tetras and di's don't cross.
Stellas almost always make more Stellas from seed, but one never knows!!
Calalily

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

besides the orange common type-I bought 4 different types from my neighbor last year-$2 for 3 fans--actually I got 43 fans for $20.00 he has several types-I will be going back this summer also...found out they are edible also! neat-o
calalily Im impressed-Im learning so much this year here at daves!

dori

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

There's a new Co-Op in the (yeah, you guessed it) the Co-Op Forum for Daylilies. C'mon all you diehard 'Hems,' go give dignbloom a look-see.

Kittanning, PA

Not a hemnut but I am just getting started they are all so pretty not sure which ones to get.....i do need help however...starting them from seed...do i need to nick it keep it warm what? I would like to eventually try the breeding thing but right now i just want some to start with...any info would be greatly appreciated......
Thanks
singleyellowrose36 :)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Calalily,
Would you explain some of the "certain" colors that don't cross well. Maybe give of some tips on color combos that might do well. I'd like to give hand crossing a try this year.

Have you registered any of your crosses? I always wanted to name a daylily after my sister.

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Well, I think they are very pretty & am going to be buying my very 1st daylillies soon. After listening to all of you I am getting excited! I think I have been missing out on something!

Ladygreenthumbs - thanks for the plug!

Julie

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Poppysue
Don't cross yellow with red or red with pink. You will get "muddy" colors. Orange with red is a good cross as is purple with red or yellow. Can't remember whether pink/yellow was good or bad, lol. Also, Diploids and Tetraploids won't cross because of the different amount of chromasomes.
Haven't registered any yet. I mostly grow for the fun of it, plus I'm trying to cover a steep bank.
Calalily

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

I have not seen my crosses bloom yet, mostly I purchased seeds from The Lily Auction, because I do not have many daylily varieties as of yet. I am working on that. I eagerly await some unregistered daylily seedlings from "Wimberlyway" the gardens of the late Bill Munson. He created some great daylilies.

You also may want to check out this site: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/daylilies/32588

It gives you a chart of what you may expect from certain color crosses.

Enjoy

Sally

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Wow! Thanks for the link Sally. It looks like you can get pretty technical with the crosses!

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone,

I got some daylily seeds that I won on ebay. Looks like there are going to be some pretty good crosses. I wish they would bloom this year so I could see what they look like. I will just have to be patient and wait.

By the way the site I put up above has all sorts of articles, the hybridizing chart is just one of many.

Have a great day.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I don't think I am quite as serious as most of you, but they are pretty and quite tough. My climate is desert type, water is short in the summer, winters can be cold and dry, so I need plants that can take care of themselves and look good. I have about 25 plants comming in a day or two, still working on the new bed to put them in. I ordered mid season and late bloomers, plus some rebloomers, dormant and semidormant kinds as I think our winters wouldn't be good for the evergreens. It's good to see a daylily forum here, thanks Dave.

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

I am still a newbie at the daylily thing...I don't have hundreds yet..some evergreens are hardy, but I couldn't tell you which ones.. still learning myself

puttyrat

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I see this isn't a forum....just a thread. Someday maybe. So far I count 9 individuals here. I am ready for my new plants, they didn't come today, I will be gone tomorrow, they might by stuck in the post office all weekend. So much for careful planning..... :^)

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

I am expecting plants too, I thought they were being shipped this week, but now that I think back on it they will get here next week. I am getting some of my wish list including: Ida's Magic, Breed Apart, True Blue Heart, and some other's I now forget. I also got Elegant Candy from the place I work for. From Wimberlyway I am getting some of Munson's seedlings that he was using in his hybridizing programs before his death. Those should come the following week. I received a picture of a couple that I am getting and they are awesome. Typical Munson daylilies that I love. I too am hoping this develops into more of a forum.

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Just a reminder, the daylily co-op ends April 9. thread name "Look at this" Julie

Valparaiso, IN

I really love collecting flowers and Hemerocallis seem to be the collector's dream flower. I have only 80 named varieties, so I certainly can't be called a "hem nut". Considering my perennial addiction, I probably could be easily persuaded though. I am really interested in knowing how you all display your hundreds of daylilies. Right now I have them growing interspersed in my borders. Certainly they are perfect for that, but where do you put 600? Do you have a flower bed specifically for daylilies? If so, how do you maintain color all season? I have to know every name, variety and location to maintain my sanity, how do you maintain labeling for these beauties?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i too am interested in how you display your daylilies. there is a whole section of my backyard, by the woods, that is shaped like (see below). i would like to devote this area to various daylilies. i would like to put a small picket fence, with a gate at the bottom of the U, to hid the grass clippings behind , the left side will be about 4 feet wide and the right side will extend further back into the woods, and around some trees. with a narrow foot path only for access to plants. maybe some stepping stones and ground cover (vinca minor/periwinkle). any advice on grouping, color etc would be appreciated.

all ideas welcome.
thanks debi z

____gate_______/
/ o o
/ o = tree
oo ___= woodland edge/sinder blocks
/ and = fence

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4a)

does a 12' X 12' bed and growing for lilies count me in??
if so I am stepping up for the title also
merry

Hot Springs National, AR

Me too. I just put in my beds last year, and am enjoying my first blooms this season! I have pictures posted at http://community.webtv.net/pamdiggs/Daylilies2001

if anyone would like to see them. I'm having a great time with this!

Montrose, PA(Zone 5a)

art12000, I just looked at your daylilies and all the rest of your flowers they were beautiful! I bet everyone where you live just love them!

Hot Springs National, AR

Morninglory--Thanks! Actually, they are all still babies, and haven't made real clumps yet. But they still have beautiful blooms, though not many. But next year....! Today I hosted a garden party and plant swap for internet gardeners in Arkansas and the surrounding area and I think everyone had a good time. I know I enjoyed meeting some of the different people I had traded and corresponded with, but never seen. We're planning to do this every year, and hopefully some of you will live close enough to come.

Pam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.