Seeking Best Cascading Seed Varieties

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

This post is somewhat similar to "Eyes" post on the best combinations to put in containers. Since that seems a little trickier for me, a newbie, I thought I'd keep one variety per basket or deck railing planter. I just don't know what the best cascading seed choices are for containers. I have both sun & shade, but am always looking for those that do best with lots of sun since my porch faces south. Any suggestions?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Morph! Two of my favorites for sun are Asarina-snapdragon vine and Wave petunias. A non flowering plant that works anywhere is vinca vine. I use the variegated when I have spots to fill. If you have extra pots to fill in the sun, how about some cherry tomatoes? Those can look really neat too. My brain isn't working too great tonight. Will have to think some more.
Michele

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Badseed. You mentioned Wave Petunias and in the hyperlink that Sis provided for "Eyes", they mentioned trailing petunias. I definitely want to plant petunias, but I'm not sure how to distinguish between a Wave Petunia or a Trailing Petunia. Maybe I'm not looking at the right seed providers online? Hope your brain is feeling better tomorrow :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hah! My brain will be better in twenty years or so when the kids are grown. LOL Wave petunias will actually say Wave series on them. I'm not sure who carries the seeds now. Seems like everyone has the plants. They are always in hot pink pots. Burpee did have the seeds in several colors. The flowers are a bit smaller but the plants mound up and trail down and can totally eat the pot in a season. They are quite impressive! You may be able to find a trade with someone that has saved first or second generation. Otherwise you may have to buy them. :(

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was going to post you a link, but it only goes to the main page. Go to www.Burpees.com and type wave petunia in the search box. :) At least you can see some.

For a sunny window planter box that is around 36x9in.x9in. you can plant; 2 Salvias 'Blue Victoria'; 2 Nicotianas 'Domino' ; 4 Lobelias; 2 Classic Zinnias ; 1 Miniture Rose the 'Heartbreaker'; 2 Marigolds 'Bonanza'
----------------------------------------------------
--------
For a More Cascading of Color:
2 Globe Amaranths
6 Exacum affine
4 Dahlberg Daisies
4 Verbenas
2 Rose Periwinkles
1 trailing Lantana
1 Variegated Trailing Vinca
A simple mix of blooms among the profuse foliage can give a windowbox a very lush feel plus the foliage adds the perception of depth.

This is something for more of a Cottage Elegance.
6 Geraniums
2 Dracaenas
8 Petunias
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Incorporate a mixture of trailing and erect flowering plants that offer shades of pink and rosy purple. The suggestions listed below you can add a ribbon of lemon yellow Wallflowers.
3 Rose Periwinkles
8 yellow Wallflowers
5 Dusty Millers
8 Ivy-leaved Geraniums
8 Regal Geraniums
3 Edging Lobelias
3 Verbenas
Using these will give it that,' Rosy Complextion '
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sosomething for lasting color: The flowers listed with this will last all summer until the first frost.
8 Geraniums
6 purple 'Razzle Dazzle' Petunias
3 Sprenger Asparagus Ferns
4 Vincas
``````````````````````````````
`````````````````````````````
Now for a really dramatic foundation on this one; try using a black window box.
8 Geraniums
4 Dusty Miller
4 Artemisias
6 Heliotropes
8 cup flowers (Nieremerga-(spelling?
6 Lamiastrums
================================
==========================
Now if you want perfumed color,try this: This you can put close to an open window and enjoy the wonderful fragrance that range from strong,sweet Lavendar to the very scent of the Dianthus.
6 Dianthus
4 Primroses
4 Lavenders
4 Marguerite Daisies.
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
''''''''''''''''
A Hanging Basket.
For hanging plants you can use:
Ivy - leafed Geraniums are luxurious trailers and add depth to the basket.
AND:
Helichrysum; this is great for its foliage in shades of silver or lime green.
FOR UPRIGHT PLANTS TO ADD IN YOUR HANGING BASKETS ARE;
Fuchsias - these have graceful arching stems with very pretty flowers in shades of pink,red, or white and the colors can be chosen to go with or contrast with the Ivy-leaved Geraniums.
Another Upright plant for basket is the; Verbenas. They are compact and bushy plants.
FILLERS FOR YOUR HANGING BASKETS;
Now you will want something to fill in those bare spots. For that you can use;
Petunias.
Petunias are old basket favorites because of the colors they come in and the large,funnel-shaped flowers.

Lobelia
This is also a good filler plant and will flower through the summer,filling out the empty spaces. You can also choose trailing varities to make the basket seem that much larger.

Those are just a few suggestions to start you out anyway. If interested in other ideas for other type containers or plants,just let me know and will give you others that you may be interested in. If your interested in doing a bowl with Succulents, or something for a Seaside Deck, or an Autumn Windowbox, or winter window box or whatever,just let me know and will give you more ideas.
Best of luck to you and hope this helps

Aftercare for you window boxes:
For beautiful,blooming windowbox plants need plenty of nutrientsto perform at their peek levels. In addition to the granular fertilizer that is mixed in at planting time, you should also spray the flowers with a balanced,general liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks and you will receive a very thriving windowbox and many of the suggestions listed above will make excellent cut flowers for you to bring indoors.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

SOOOO much information, CoCo ~ thank you very much! Dare I try these? I'll have to pick one and see what success I get with a mixed container. Haven't had much luck before.

Badseed, thanks for the info on the wave petunias. I'll buy ~ not a problem. I'm just glad to understand that they are truly another variety.

I don't know about you all, but I am so excited getting ready for Spring & Summer!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

You can also plant Moss Roses in window boxes or hanging baskets. Very easy to grow and really adds color and they spread so fills in a basket or container very nicely.

CoCo what wonderful ideas i had to print that out! thank you :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

When I want plants to drape from the pots, I like nemesia, godetia, and Alaska nasturtiums. The Alaska nasturtium have a marbled variegated leaf which is smaller than the usual nasturtiums. The habit is more compact, as well.

If you find the Wave seeds, they will run you about 50 cents a seed. My experience has been that first generation seed from a Wave can come back true, but second generation generally reverts to the variety that made up the hybrid. They were still beautiful petunias!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Weezingreens ~ how do you start and achieve success with your Alaska nasturtium? I've had little luck in getting any of my nasturtiums to germinate and for those that did, they were VERY sensitive to what, I don't know!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Morph: Soak the seeds for a couple hours before planting. I start mine indoors to get a headstart on our short season, so I have to transplant them. They develop quite a long root, and they resent being transplanted, so I make newspaper pots with my paper pot maker. http://store.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/paperpotmakers.html

I add soil to these pots, make a hole with a dipple, and drop in the soaked seed. I add some water and put them in direct light. Germination can be sporatic sometimes, and I don't think the seeds have a long shelf life.

When it is time to transplant the seedlings outdoors, I can peel the paper away and the bottom falls out with the roots undisturbed. You could probably plant the seedlings in the pots if your climate will break down the paper readily.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Weezingreens! Good ideas ~ I'll try another batch following your advice to see if I have any luck. BTW, where do you find your Alaskan variety? Are they much different that other Nasturtiums?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Alaskas are a variegated variety. I'm not sure where they got the name. I'll post a pic on another thread in this forum.

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks, that would be great ~ I'd love to see your variety!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.