new phytosanitary law

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi all

just had this sent to me by Jane who used to be a member.

Mark

For those who were wondering whether USDA was serious about enforcing the new phytosanitary inspection policy for imported seeds: I just received a notice from the NY, USDA-APHIS inspection station stating that my packet from the RHS seed distribution was returned to England because
it was not accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

And where (and how) do you get one of those - the dreaded DEFRA??

you're up early!!

I'm up because some *&^%$£@# next door has been doing DIY sice 8am!!

anyway, I havent a clue where to get a certificate. They cost money but the Southern Irish get theirs free. and ........ we have to have a fax reply from the USDA to say they will allow the packet in!!

Mark

:O
Have to get round that another way then

Went to alpine show yesterday - came back with 5 daphnes (oh dear, off again)

Sorry about your beloved neighbour - just have to make the most of your day. It gives you the opportunity to do more!!
Always look on the bright side of life ;)
Now you can have a moan about irritating cheerful people

Happy St Patrick's Day. I'm off to watch grandson playing rugby now

If anyone wants the documents which deal with this then please let me know, you will need Acrobat reader.

Happy St Patricks Day Mark

top o' the mornin' to ya

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

It all depend on "luck", guys.
I had one packet return to USA from the main custom service in Santiago, Chile because the green slip custom declaration stated "seeds" and there weren't any fitosanitary certificate, but all the other enveloppes without the slip and arrived here as NORMAL letters , even in the padded enveloppe, passed custom and were delivered to my place.
In theory all countries that sign the CITES agreement are suppose to enforce the phytosanitary regulation......

cristina

I'm not having any problems either and from the documents I have from APHIS it appears that they are only enforcing a current law for restricted plant material.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

I've started a new thread, because I feel it is important
to know the impending extention of trade restrictions.

cristina

This message was edited Saturday, Mar 23rd 2:43 PM

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Folks, I am minded of that great truism:

"A law which is not explained, is a law which is not justified".

Methinks, a little packet of seed inserted - absent-mindedly, of course - between the pages of a knitting magazine mailed to your aunt in the US (or UK) just might get through.

JOHN YEOMAN

Shhhhhhh........now you've blown my cover(up) John ;)

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Anyone concerned should see my new thread, A Tempest In A Teapot, about my on-going test of this requirement.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.