Nesting material

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It's getting time for birds to start building their nests and lots of people like to put out materials for them to use.

Please Do Not use dryer lint!!! When it gets wet or damp it sticks to everything and is impossible for the birds to clean off.

Dampen your fingers and try it.Nasty stuff..especially if you're a mama bird and have damp feathers from hatchlings.
It looks soft and cozy,and the birds will think so too.Just don't let them use it.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

So glad I saw this. I have a wastebasket full of the stuff - guess I'll bag it up and trash it. Thanks for the info.

Great info,thank you' I put the pillow batting(white)in hanging containers for their nesting,they love it too'

Offer nesting material. Provide pet or human hair and short pieces (less than two inches) of fiber, string, and yarn by leaving material in obvious places or hanging it from mesh or onion bags.

Put out eggshells for birds. Female birds require extra calcium for egg production. Save your eggshells, cook them in the oven (20 minutes at 250° F), crumble them into small pieces, and spread the pieces on a visible spot outside.

Edited.

This message was edited May 21, 2005 1:57 PM

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

thanks Melody, am putting together an onion bag this week to hang out. Will keep that in mind! I will also start saving my eggshells!

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

The birds always loved the fur from my white persian cat. I'd put fur from her & some from the dog in a basket and the white cat fur would be gone in a few days. Just the smelly dog hair would be left.

Last year I saved a ratty old feather pillow and use those feathers for the birds nesting basket. They loved em.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmm, the birds here must not be quite so picky! LOL They love it when we brush our Husky outside. When they get impatient, they dive bomb her for those nice 'cotton balls' she often loses. LOL

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I like this idea! I would like to do it too. I can collect pet and human hair for the nesting basket. What else should I put in it and where should I put it? In a tree or where? I can also provide egg shells for the mama birds. What a great thing to do!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

My sheep scratch themselves on the fences. Strings of wool everywhere and what cool be better for a nest than that?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The birds used to steal the bunny fur when I brushed the rabbits before a show. I kept it in a basket where they could get it anytime. It's funny to find a bird nest with my own hair in it, or the dog's or bunnies fur.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.