ashes in compost

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

We finally got a compost bin made now I have a question. We have a burn barrel that has lots of ashes in it. Can I sprinkle a little of this on the pile between layers? I know U will want to know what was burned..It is mostly paper but does have some plastic like shopping bags & plastic containers. The container most in question is containers that motor oil was in.. I think I know what your answer will be but thought I'd ask *grin*
We almost filled the 1st one full yesterday with leaves. I need some green to go with it as we don't have much grass yet. I did put a couple of cups of bought fertilizer in it.. a little with each layer. I had a little kitchen scraps I had been saving. I know coffee is good but there is really no where here to get it except from our kitchen.
Sugar_fl

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sugar, I wouldn't. If it were plain old wood ash, I'd say a little dab'll do ya ;) but all things considered, I'd probably pass.

As for coffee grounds, is there a restaurant with a good morning crowd, or a Starbucks near you? Often they'll let you have gobs of coffee grounds, if no one is picking them up already. Might be worth checking out until you have enough grass clippings.

Congrats on the compost bin!!! (I just got one a few weeks ago, and I'm soooo glad.)

montgomery, AL(Zone 7b)

GV,
We are out in the boonies here. It is 15 miles to a restaurant. I'm sure it would be about 30 miles to a Starbucks & not even sure there is one there. Dothan Alabama would be the closest one. The ashes were just a thought & looks like a bad one.
thanks,
Sugar_fl

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

If wood ashes, you can consider incorporating them. If coal ashes, throw them out.

'Wood ash is inert and alkaline, and is much like putting dirt into fire.
If you want to use it at all, it is best to do pH tests on the ash, your compost, and the soil you'll use it in -- then add the ashes to the compost just before using it in the soil in quantities that will result in a desirable soil pH. Ash is a smothering dead weight to the composting process, at best. But in small enough quantities it will do little or no harm.'

Here is a link which may be useful for you: Wood Ash http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/garden/composting/woodash.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.