one more photo from today (Tuesday)

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

in the same garden where my snowdrops were found I saw this well marked Arum plant.

Mark

Thumbnail by mark
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Ooooh! A bit like arum italicum pictum (marmoratum), but a broader looking leaf than mine.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

when the flowers open I'll take some more photos but maybe all Arums look the same!?

The leaves of Arum maculatum - cuckoo pint - vary from plain green to covered in purple spotting and arum italicum has plain green leaves (marbled with silver in A.i.pictum) that are often even more exaggeratedly arrow shaped.
Don't remember seeing maculatum with silvery patterning like this, but if it's an old cultivated garden then could be italicum (usually only wild on the S coast of England i think) though the patterning on mine doesn't look the same and this leaf has a broader appearance.
The spadex of maculatum is usually purple whereas that of italicum is usually orangey. So, yes, having a look at the flower may help.
Sure you know it, but this site shows the rarer ones, though the leaves are not easy to see. http://rareplants.co.uk/gallery1.htm
So, no all arums definitely don't look the same. Tons of variation even in the humble cuckoo pint! - Your next project?

just remembered this thread when taking this shot of the leaf of Arum italicum pictum
different shape and pattern to the one above

Thumbnail by philomel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.