talking spring again

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Wow spring really is rushing in now. This evening while out for a walk - what a day!! no coat needed - I saw Hawthorn and Poplar bursting into leaf. The gorse/whin/furze bushed are laiden with flowers and the smell was divine. Have you ever sniffed them? If not do it tomorrow. Here is a shot I took today.

Mark

Thumbnail by mark

Gorse is beautiful isn't it. The whole of Hampshire seems to have drifts of gorse. I recall an old saying that a man should make love to a woman while gorse is in bloom. Not bad when it blooms all year LOL. I'm keeping my eye on the Ash and Oak.

The Hawthorn out the back here is bursting into tleaf too and all the Blackthorn bushes are in flower too. Must be Spring!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

The version i heard was that when the gorse is out of bloom, love's out of fashion (much more genteel, lol)

Yes, the blackthorn's in full swing and the hawthorn leaves are unfurling. We used to call it 'bread and cheese' and eat it when i was a child.

The gorse i planted in the garden hoping for nesting long tailed tits is flowering - and yes the scent is wonderful Mark. I try and plant as many scented things in the garden as possible!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Oh, sigh! You are sure making an old Alaskan gal feel behind the times! No blooms here , just ice and snow. A warm afternoon walk in the warm sun with the trees in bloom..heaven...unless you have allergies!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.