need Cup and Saucer vine info!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Have seedlings doing really well. Do I pinch them out at any point? how do these do in a basket? would they make a good vine for a mailbox?? if in basket, one or two seedlings?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

tig... i have not grown this. check this url... http://www.ivillage.com/home/garden/picks/articles/0,9685,173794_74990,00.html

edited to add more links... http://www.dulley.com/plant/a031.shtml , http://www.organik.uni-erlangen.de/bestmann/mitarbeiter/winkler/cobaeae.htm

This message was edited Friday, Mar 22nd 11:03 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

TiG,I grew them a few years ago,I have large peices of drift wood(actually tree trunks and roots that use to be my shoreline but thats another story)I planted the cobea there to cover them till I could get the clematis going.They started out kinda slow here , but once they got going - well I don't think a hanging basket woulda held them.By August you couldn't tell there was wood under them and the killed off the clematis.they were gorgeous though.....Last year I planted some seeds but they never came up.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks CC, was hoping someone had grown them. so I don't pinch out? I love the flower and am hoping for good things

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I never pinched them,just set them free......

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Tig, I just got cup&Saucer seeds today, I can't wait to see how they do this Spring ~ I'm glad you posted about them so I could also check out the feedback ~ Iris

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Iris, get them going now, so they will bloom for you. Soak, plant on their side and they will sprout in days.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Tig, Thank's, I got the seeds planted today. :)

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

I just found some I didn't know I had. How long to soak? A few days be OK? I am anxious now after reading all these posts. ?Doris

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

just 24 hours. too long with these might not be good.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

tiG, I soaked mine just over night. How many days do you think it will take for them to sprout? I want this plant and the Dutchman's Pipe to grow more than anything.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

it doesn't take long, but the blue sprouted faster than the white. Way less than 2 weeks I know. I didn't have any luck with my DP seeds. Cuttings are the way with that.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

My DP seeds sprouted okay, but they are really slow. I don't think they will be big enough to make flowers this year. I just like the strange foliage on it. Thanks for the answer on the seeds. I'll be watching now. Have had them planted for about 4 or 5 days.

S.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I received some Cup and Saucer Vine seeds yesterday in a trade. After reading all this great info here, I soaked them for 6 hrs. and planted them on their sides. I'll let you all know how they are doing.
MaVie, thanks for the hyperlinks. I got a lot of good info regarding the plant itself.

Donna

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

very welcome Donna :D!

Feeding Hills, MA(Zone 5a)

Gee, did I read that third hyperlink right? It says
BAT pollinated! These are going down near the brook...not on my deck...lol

Thanks for the hyperlink Vie!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

well, KatBaxter... if u live in an isolated area where i am, i won't be surprise if some of my plants are being polinated by bats. actually they are harmless from what i heard.

did u know that the bat droppings is one of the best fertilizer there is? the most expensive too ;)! ma vie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.