Does anyone else use canna in their water garden?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Powell Garden did last year, but I don't remember if they used special cultivars. What I really want is plants for our aquariums. I don't want to get plants from fish shops, etc. because they nearly always have snails on them. I thought if i could use some of the hundreds of canna rhizomes I have I will know they are snail free. I also think I have an iris pseuducoris that will be suitable that I can dig up. It has never done that well outside in the yard, maybe it will do better in an aquarium in the house.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

leaflady, here's another current thread on the subject: http://davesgarden.com/showthread/203587.html and it has tips on how to best acclimate the rhizomes to grow in water.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Both cannas and the iris pseuducoris are BIG plants. I can't imagine how you'd grow them in an aquarium. I know the iris does well in water - but it can get 4 or 5 feet tall and has huge rhizomes. I had it in a pot in my pond and the roots grew out of the pot and wrapped themselves around the cinder block I had the pot sitting on. Those pots are heavy when lifting them out - whithout a cinder block stuck to the bottom of the pot! I alomst went head first into the pond that day.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Poppysue. I was thinking of using the dwarf canna. I had no idea the iris would get that huge! We have a 40 gallon tall tank I was going to put it in and it could stick out the top but that sure would be huge even in that tank. Are there any other plants that would be better for that tank? I want something for the fish to be able to eat some roots from and not kill the plants as well as something for the Betta and some other fish to hide in. I have some Peace Lilies that we are swapping around so the fish don't eat too many roots and kill them. I can set up a 10 gallon just to raise plants and rest the ones whose roots have been too eaten to remain in the aquarium. I have lights in the tank, but it sets in a corner of the living room and only gets morning light thru an east window several feet away. So the plants will have to be something that will grow well in quite shady conditions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.