What makes a good container??

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

I have several barrels and lots of pots but am looking for some ideas on different containers. Has anyone come up with some good ones?
Meems

Whatever you like, is what I'd go by Meems' We remodeled our bathroom many years ago,yes that's right,ya guessed it,lol' The tub is out back and serves as my little nursery,up where my bunnies won't munch and the throne sits beside with flowers' Old cowboy boots(drill holes or poke in the soles)make interesting conversation pieces too' My old cream cans hold flowers,well anything that you like is your answer,I guess' My half whiskey barrels I place another pot inside and another inside of it(3 tiers)and plant bulbs for spring,followed by allysum,nasturtiums' I know you'll think of something,what about old dishes/water pitchers???HTH Sis' http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00089.asp

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Meemdream: Sis is right..if it will fit a plant and it will drain, it's a container! I'm going to start posting some photos on this site to show unusual containers in Seward.

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

*bump*

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The container is such a personal thing like your favorite kind of panties or something! We were at a show in April and the guy there was talking about planting the low dahlias in containers. He made it so easy to remember what makes a great container arrangement:
The thriller - the center of attention, the "grabber"
The filler - to fill in around the center - on a clock it would be at 12, 3, 6 and 9
The spiller - for spilling over the edges

Ain't that a neat way to remember it?

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

That IS cool! I've been trying to get some large containers going and now I can get a better visual of what I need to do. Thank you! I had the spiller right, just not the thriller and the filler. LOL

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

You're so right cherishlife, I could never "get it" before. Thanks for posting that info pirl!♥ Very enlighting!

~* Robin☺♫

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I've found some great nursery-type faux terra cotta pots at a dollar store where I live. I would guess they are 2-gallon pots. They have great drainage. IKEA also has these self-watering pots for about $15 and they are about 5-gallons. The reservoir is great for dry periods and the pots roll on wheels. The only problem with those is that I believe they are for houseplants so they can fill with rainwater, no drainage holes. I am toying with drilling a hole in the side of the pots above the reservoir. I also used several clean, commercial paint buckets that are each 5-gallons for my tomato plants.

Thumbnail by loba70

How big will the tomatoes in the 5 gallon containers grow? Mine once grew 8' so it was difficult to actually pick them. I had to hoist up rope and tie them to the gutters.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Anything that can hold dirt,and a hole in the bottom and be a planter..LOL

viv

This message was edited Jun 1, 2005 9:14 PM

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

That's beautiful, viv. But what is it normally for?

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Its a working drinking fountain, got it for the kids in for the summer, but couldnt justify it sitting empty all season.

Viv

Vizz8 - adorable. Better than a birdbath as long as the birds have water to drink someplace else on your property. Love the idea.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I saw this on television and thought it was real interesting. When things settle down I may try to make one or two for DW (or me)

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_containers_outdoor/article/0,,HGTV_3561_3811386,00.html

Phil

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Nice to see you here, too, Vizz8! I just wanted to add that you can drill holes into ceramic pieces, and terra cotta. You just need to get the special hole-drill for tile. It has a rough, edge that cuts through the ceramics very easily! Adds to the list of things that you can use!

Tracy

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice to see you too Tracy, I've put many holes in many things, luckly I have a workshop full of tools.

Pril, the birds are well taken care of, several birdbaths for their injoyment and mine..LOL

Meems Keep your eyes open at yardsales, and junk shops, absolutly anything will make a good container, depending on your tastes and space.

Viv

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Speaking of junk--here's something my DH had in the back of the pickup last year to take to the dump. I rescued it for one more season!

Thumbnail by irmaly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.