Northern Red Currant

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here's another wild plant from Southcentral Alaska-- the red currant, or Ribes triste. The stems are smooth, and the bright red fruit is popular with our birds, as well as a welcome addition to jams and jellies. This is the favored wild currant of Alaska. I have many bushes growing along the perimeter of my yard.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I love redcurrant jelly - with ham, or pork, or turkey, or, come to think about it, with just about anything.

It also seems very fashionable, in our more upmarket restaurants, to garnish both sweet and savoury dishes with a tasteful sprig of redcurrant berries. A fashion of which i very much approve!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

How strange, I never thought of using currants as a garnie, but maybe we just aren't a garnishy bunch up here. I think it's a good idea, and the sauce sounds wonderful as well. I've had currant tea before, & it was quite good. If I can beat the birds to the currants this year, I'm going to make some jelly!

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

I just ran across this thread when doing a search for red currant. I love those, I used to pick them straight off the bush in Germany and eat them like that. I have been searching for one for a very long time and have had no luck so if you have one to spare to send my way, let me know :o)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

They do grow around here, Flowox. As I recall, the send out brances that lay on the ground and root down. I think those suckers would be the best way to ship something. Let me look around this spring and see if I can find something for you. It's still way too early around here. If I can get you some root stock, it should ship alright if I keep the roots moist, don't you think?

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

That would be most wonderful Weezin. You can't imagine how happy that would make me as I've been searching frantically all over the place here where I live and even looked in TN but with no luck

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Flowox
I have them growing down by the lake but the horses eat them every year.I'll check to see if there are any babies when they start leafing out.

Found out last night where the goose eggs are going....

last nite 2 foxes were running out of my pasture with the eggs in their mouths

Gunna check with the neigbours will let me let my great pyr run loose for a while.He dumps garbage cans so I keep him penned up with the chickens.......

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

that would be great if you found some ribes.

Darn those foxes, they are taking my eggs!!! LOL
Hope you have better luck with them

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.