Potatoes in Whiskey Barrels

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Up here in Alaska, we do a lot of container gardening. I like to grow my potatoes in large containers, so these halves whiskey barrels work nicely. There are holes drilled in the bottom, but I also add a layer of rocks, as well, for extra drainage. As the potatoes sprout and leaf, we add more composted soil to the barrel. They are an attractive addition to the yard, they don't take up precious garden space, and it's easier to keep the slugs out of them!

Thumbnail by Weezingreens

Pretty slick,eh? Love container gardening too' I do more every year' We're going to plant 5gal.buckets this year too Weeze' Ok,if I call ya Weeze for short? Anyhow,the tomatoes will be growing from the bottom of the bucket and gonna plant flowers in the top and hang. Then easy cleanup after the season ends'

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

That's a great idea, Sis. Thank goodness for 5 gallon buckets. I also like those big blue plastic barrels..great for potatoes, etc. Sure, you can call me Weez or WZ, whatever is easiest. Weezingreens is a mouthful. It is an offshoot from our business name, Weezinbiznus..a real mouthful!

This forum doesn't seem to get a lot of action, so I'm going to start posting container pics more often. It's always interesting to see what people grow things in. What's the weather like in Kansas? We have lots of snow and cold temps. Days are getting longer, but it isn't really spring yet.

That sure is a mouthful,lol WZ' I have CTS(carpal tunnel syndrome)so I abbreviate alot,bugs some here but oh well' What can I say about the looney weather,lol? Up and down,today 60's down to the teens again tonight' Had 3ft. snow drifts yesterday,now history'

Yeah,wish more would container garden,to me it's more fun than planting stuff like little soldiers,lol' You sure have a beautiful place WZ and if there's pics,just know we'll get more interest here,go for it' BTW,loved the moose too,guess the one on N.Exposure finally passed to the moose heaven,loved seeing him''

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Sis, there are lots of ways to garden, but most people are accustomed to digging a spot in the ground and planting something in it. Here in Southcentral Alaska we have really cool soil and summers, so raising the soil up in raised beds or containers helps to keep the soil warm. Also, we have very little actual soil here, so most of us compost and buy topsoil from Anchorage. When soil is that precious, you want to keep it in a container!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

WZ & Sis,
I have almost 100 different plants in containers. I started working at the Farm when I was going to school. Just knew the job was temp. Nott! Goody, goody! Now I am full time. Accounting, that is.
After I graduated, I knew I would be buying me a place & wanted to take all of my plants with me. Where I live now, I have a 12' x 14' deck plus the hottub deck(hottub is empty, these yrs), 12'x12'. After it gets warm, (hope that is now) I start bringing plants back fr my make-do GH, about 35 miles away. Sometimes I think I can't get another plant on these decks but I always manage to get one more.
I use Sam's Choice Time-release soil. So far, so good. I will be mixing my own once I get my own house but right now Wally world keeps me supplied.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Way to go, Smockette! Whenever someone tells me they can't garden because they are only renting their house, or they may move, or they have no yard, I always tell them to container garden. You can always take your plant buddies with you and you don't lose all the soil and amendments you've added!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.