World's Most Expensive Tomato

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:01 PM

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

How expensive was it? It sure better be mouthwatering!!!

Gloria

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:02 PM

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

WOW! I think you are paying for the Name! Better be good!

Lots of luck.

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:02 PM

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Yeh, I've heard you can't take it with you.
I'm sure trying to figure out a way tho'!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm curious to what you end up with Owen. I got your email and really,I'm glad you went ahead and posted here.This subject could make for some great discussion.

I've heard of the Marianna's Peace and hope that all that's written about it isn't just hype. Sounds like 'yuppie seeds' to me. You know the drill...if it's expensive,then it just HAS to be good. I,for one don't have the desire to try it. I would be curious to what you think. You've had enough really good tomatoes to be able to voice an opinion on the subject,so I'll await your report. I don't approve of patents on seeds and refuse to support big business in doing so. But that's just my opinion and different views are what makes the world go 'round.

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:04 PM

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

All of this is just a reflection of Ibsen as a consumate marketing genius.

At least the Marianna's Peace has a story behind it. I love the idea that all he did for the Julia Child was put a name on an old heirloom. I mean, it's not like he went and developed a new variety or anything like that. But he will sell the heck out of it, I'm sure. As he does with the Marianna's Peace.

Still and all, he's used these techniques to raise more than a hundred grand for youth projects. So how bad can he be.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Those better some da-n good tomatoes for that price.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Wow that is lot expensive.

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:04 PM

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

If I paid that much for tomato seeds they darn were better be the best tomato in the world.

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:06 PM

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

All kidding aside, Owen, aren't you forbidden from doing that?

From what I understand, Marianna's Peace is patented. And the literature you get when you buy seed spells out what you can and cannot do with it.

Have I been misinformed?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

No Brook...you're correct. Plants with a patent.Regardless of the cause...I'll stick with OP.

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:05 PM

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't think you can do that with them, either. Check the agreement Gary sent you. As I recall, you're not allowed to save seed even for your own use (although how he'd stop you remains to be seen).

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:05 PM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

(hah! great question Owen!) ;>)
I just visited the site mentioned above. I must've overlooked something---I didn't see where it said these seeds were patented (nor did I see where the Julia Child was either). (How can someone patent a seed that has been around since the 1900's anyway?)
(Just innocent questions here ya'll.)

Richmond, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, Shoe, they're out there patenting parts of your body---which God made several thousands of years ago. So why not a Johnny come lately like a seed that's only a hundred years old?

Sez sumpin bout the patent system, don't hit.

That aside, you have to admire Ibsen's marketing acumen. I mean here he takes a central European variety (of which there are dozens of similar ones), slaps a legend on it (is that story true? Or did he make it up out of whole cloth?), and prices it so it has a certain snob appeal. Then he controls the amount of seed available. And sells every seed he produces at $4 a pop.

That's the greatest marketing success since the pet rock.

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:06 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I may open up a can of worms here,but our previous administration allowed the laws to be put in place that allows just that.

The plant patent law...among other things, is already there and ready for the 'plant police' to inforce when they see fit.The Plant Police are here and real folks...they just haven't got orginized enough to make much of a difference in home gardeners.....yet.

Just do a little research on what they do if you have what 'they' term is a nuisiance plant growing on your property.
But I digress from the thread topic....

Now Owen,I've meant to comment on the Mystery Girl and just haven't. You realize that what you are growing is F2 seed.You will get several different tomatoes because it is certainly not stable at this point.
How many plants are you planning on? I'm putting in 20 and hoping that the tomato that I'm trying to stabilize is on one of those plants. I will then save the seed from _one_ fruit on _one_ plant. Usually this is a no-no,as it reinforces inbreeding,but that is exactly what I'm trying to do here.
I'll start another thread dealing with this and that way everyone will get a look at this information.

Lima, OH(Zone 5a)

Owen

Planted your seeds on Tuesday, Red Oxheart up already, GOOD SEEDS! Thanks

Gloria

(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 24th 8:07 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.