daylily division

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

hi all
want to divide my small daylily. yes, i have only one, don't ask! unknown cultivar, it's kinda small, 3 years old, maybe 18" tall. anyways, want to know if i can divide this plant in the spring, or do i need to wait until late summer/ fall?

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

You can pretty much divide them at any time of the year, but you may have a sparse bloom for that year if you do it in the spring.

We built a deck on the back of our house about two years ago, and I had several daylilies and other plants that I had to move out of the way that April. Some of the daylilies that I moved bloomed like they didn't even notice, and some of them sulked for awhile. I guess it just depends on the particular cultivar.

Good luck!

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

So is the best time the autumn, after flowering, to lose the least flowers Inda? There are a number, both in my and my mother's garden which i'll need to divide this year.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

It ~really~ is best to wait until late summer or early fall to move them, but they can be moved in an emergency in the spring without messing up flowering too badly. In my case, I had to get them out of the way of construction, so I had no choice. But the proper thing to do is to wait until they stop blooming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.