Any Windows XP Users?

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Last October we bought a new hard drive loaded with Windows XP, and it's been quite a ride since then. Though it has some handy features, it doesn't seem to be compatible with much of the older software, and many of the new ones, as well.

I have had real problems downloading photos, since the program stops responding, just as if it drifted off to sleep mid-download. I can seldom download more that three pics at a time, then I must manually delete those photos from the camera before restarting the download process. I have another digital camera I haven't even been able to get the system to recognize, and it won't download the programing.

We bought a new printer as well, and though it is listed as compatable with the XP, we still were cautioned not to load the included software if it was not specifically labeled for XP. We had to go online to the HP site and download a lenthy software alternative.

I have problems with the F drive burner. If I try to use any of the files on the F drive without copying them to the CD drive, the drive locks up and the computer quits responding, opening a familiar window that asks if I would like to send this problem to Microsoft. That begins another series of futile run-arounds.

So far, this new system has had just as much, if not more, problems than my old hard drive with Windows 98. I've managed to lock this new system up more often than the old. Is anyone else having problems with Windows XP?...WZ

This thread has 27 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!