skunks

Lewiston, ID(Zone 5b)

Anyone know how to keep skunks out of our garden? We are dreading spring! We keep the fruit picked up, the compost is in rotating, off-the-ground containers. The critters drink out of our pond and eat the black, oiled sunflower seeds that fall from the feeders. Our dogs are sprayed often. (I have a good recipe for washing dogs!) We have tried traps, pellet guns, hitting them with strong forces of water to no avail. We hate to kill them and are open any new ideas.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Did you try relocation?I trapped 9 skunks and relocated them to a place miles from here.Haven't seen or smelled any lately.....

Lewiston, ID(Zone 5b)

Dear Crestedchik, How did you catch them? We tried to trap them with a Fish & Game trap, raw egg yolk, sardines, peanut butter, etc. last summer with no luck. Tell me your secret.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Chicken eggs,and catfood,take 1 egg ,break it in the trap and put a few whole eggs in too,little pile of dry cat food..they can't resist.

Lewiston, ID(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Crestedchik. I'll let you know when we trap some. They are not out yet, but today is 60 degrees, so anytime soon.

Annandale, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't have a skunk problem, but I'm curious...once you've trapped the skunk, how do you relocate him (I'm assuming you're using a live trap)...don't they spray you?

Lewiston, ID(Zone 5b)

jardin, I haven't trapped any yet, but my Fish & Game biologist brother-in-law says skunks spray only when their tails are raised and the metal trap (like a long box with a trap door) is not high enough that they can raise their tails to spray. I'll shout/share to the world when I catch/trap ours.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Wait ,heres the trick to it,when I set up the cage ,I drape an old towel over the cage.I leave a clear area around the trap trip,so it doesent get in the way of the closing.when the trap is tripped,the top and sides are then covered,the skunk cant see you,so he doesent spray.I can pick the cage up and carry it and never been sprayed

Annandale, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Linden and crestedchik. I've live trapped woodchucks (groundhogs) but never skunks...we haven't seen any around here for 20 years, but if I do, I'm now prepared!!!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Jardin, How did you trap the woodchucks??? ... I've done the skunks, But, I've never been able to trap a woodchuck and it's something that I really need to do this year!! I've put all kinds of greens and such but they will not go in it!! It's a medium/large have a heart trap, So it's not that it's too small ... Any advise you cold give would be great! TIA

Annandale, VA(Zone 7a)

IRIS, I trapped 6 of them last summer. Seems I'd just get rid of one and another would move into the area. The Humane Society said I'd need to transport them at least 10 miles away, which is what I do, but I suspect people 10 miles from me probably bring their woodchucks to my woods for nice home!

I've found that pieces of plum work the best, but plums in Minnesota can be expensive. I've also had success w/ cantalop chunks. The best vegetable is broccoli.
You don't need a lot of pieces (5-6).

Place the trap where you've seen the woodchuck walking or/ right near the hole where he's living. Set the trap and then put 2 pieces leading towards the trap. Place 2 more pieces just inside the trap (leading the woodchuck towards the flap that trips the door). Then throw 3 pieces to the far end behind the flap (be careful not to put any under the flap...this may prevent the door from being fully tripped and he'll escape).

I think the trick is to have a fairly good understanding as to what pathway he follows, that way you can put the trap parallel to it and by the use of the fruit or vegetable you'll entice him to enter the trap.

Also, Woodchucks are most active in the early morning (sunrise) and late afternoon/dusk (sunset). Most likely these are the times you'll catch one. Remember to close the trap at sundown (woodchucks go to sleep now). If you don't close it, you'll trap a curious racoon (they come out at sundown). Hope this helps!

Oh yes, if you trap a woodchuck, be very careful handling the trap. They weigh more than you think and can be quite vocal and agitated because of their predicament. I always wear heavy duty leather gloves when my fingers come close to a trap w/ a woodchuck inside.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

TY for all the advise! I'll be giving it a try soon!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.