Advice / articles? Converting concrete swimming pool to pond

Annandale, VA(Zone 7a)

You're all so knowledgeable please help me do this right.

I have a 25,000gal (4' to 9' deep hole in the ground) in-ground concrete swimming pool that we never use. The concrete shell is good (e.g. no cracks and holds the water) but the paint is flaking. The drain at the bottom of the deep-end has been sealed for at least 20 years (its line is broken). The other filtration lines are compromised in one way or another and therefore are no longer functional. All lines are under a significant concrete deck around the pool (which is why we chose not to have repairs made over the years). We've removed the pool filter & heater since the plumbing lines are shot.

I love to garden, but have not entered the water gardening arena yet. I'd like to turn this pool area into paths, bogs and a pond. I intend to remove/rework the concrete deck (it's heaving and cracking from old age anyway).

Articles I've read generally talk about digging a hole and putting in a liner. My questions are:

1. Since I have a hole already and it's lined with concrete do I simply go w/ the concrete or should I install a liner as a precaution against the concrete cracking in the future? I'm in Minneapolis, MN and our winters get down to -20 to -30 degrees (sometimes) and concrete pools have been known to crack and then leak.

2. If the answer to the above is to keep it as is, do I sandblast off the flaking paint and apply some other type of concrete sealer to the walls (since concrete is porous)?

3. Since I already have a deep hole (9' at one end), how "shallow" should I make the pond in order to make it workable for me? I have approximately 15 Racoons coming through the yard each night, so I need to make the pond deep enough to keep them from fishing for and eating any fish I add.

4. Have you read any articles that specifically addresses converting a swimming pool to a pond?

Thanks all for whatever guidance you can give me. This is a big undertaking...I've procrastinated for 15 years on this one, but as a new member of DG I see there's a wealth of knowledge amoungst the members and maybe now I'll acquire the knowledge needed in order to proceed with this project!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Here's a little info on ponding ~ I know it's not quite what your looking for but it might help a bit with some idea's ~ http://www.garden.org/articles/scripts/articles.taf?id=94&ch=land&subch=default

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I saw on Lennette Jenning some pictures someone had sent of what they did to their abandoned pool.They partually filled it with dirt and made a sunken garden,bog area and a pond with waterfalls,it was gorgeous!

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Jardin, I know where you can find help.... Go to www.backyardponderingsociety.com. This is a club in Michigan/indiana near South Bend, Ind. We are mentored by a "pond guru", he know just about all you would like to know about ponds and we have links to even more help.Also type in, ponds and do a search, lots of help out there.
You are entering a wonderful hobby.
Annabelle15

Annandale, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks IRIS, crestedchik, and annabelle15. I'll follow-up on each lead...they all soud like good resources.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Your Welcome Jardin! And 'Good Luck!"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.