Pussy Willow cutting

(Zone 5b)

Someone in my office got a 2-3ft "stick" full of soft & fuzzy "caterpillars" in a floral arrangement and passed it on to me. We think it's some type of pussy willow (the wood is kinda of "flat" and the top fans out into separate directions).

It's been in water for 2-3 weeks, and has grown roots and several new green shoots. Does anyone know these details?

Will it grow indoors or does it need to be outside (zone 5).

Can I leave this in water or must it eventually be planted in dirt?

Can I trim the top or will that stunt its growth?

How can I collect seeds from it?

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a pussy willow. They will grow just by sticking them in dirt. Have to grow where it is wet though. They make little windbreaks up in wisconsin, growing in wet ditches.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

We have pussy willows here, many of them.. I can already see some pussies in them. We call them pajunkissa, willow's cat. :)

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

It sounds as if it's a stem of willow that has become 'fasciated'. This is where the stem has a hiccup when growing and the side shoots don't separate off properly so that the whole thing grows forward stuck together.
http://davesgarden.com/showthread/207944.html

This message was edited Wednesday, Mar 20th 2:45 AM

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I believe what you have is a fan-tail pussywillow, I got a few myself a little while back and mine has roots and are growing shoots also ~ I'm planning on putting mine outside in the dirt by the stream as soon as the weather warms up a bit and hoping that they the roots will take and they will grow there

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.