CLOSED: Name this insect?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

The fruit of the cotton plant with me is housing these insects - they don't seem to be damaging the plant though. What is this insect?

Thumbnail by Dinu
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

He's a handsome fella isn't (s)he?
Not sure if it's exactly the species i've found - Rhinocoris iracundus - but am pretty sure that it's some type of Assassin Bug. If so your plants are not at risk. In fact ,they patrol your flowers looking for other tasty insects to eat. A wonderful biological pest control officer!!
Enjoy :)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

It is pretty and saw this before long time ago not remember where when I was little girl not see anymore.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It looks like a milkweed bug. The wings and head are wrong to be an assasin bug.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Does that mean it'll eat Dinu's plants? aaaaaaaagh
Or is it a good guy as well.

Must admit, i did wonder, but the pic i was looking at didn't show the front end too clearly. Sure your right Calalily

Never seen a Milkweed bug

This message was edited Monday, Feb 11th 6:32 PM

Sarasota, FL

Here's one called Cotton Stainer, Dysdercus suturellus. Here's a web link.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IN606

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

With over 1 million different species of insects in the world, the chances of this insect from tropical India also occurring in either France or the USA is very close to zero - to get an identification, I'd reckon it will need to be taken to a museum or university in Mysore.

Resin

Keaau, HI

How about John, Paul, George, or Ringo?

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

no Metrosidero, it is a bug not a 'beatle'!

Keaau, HI

Scuze me Kennedy, jus' havin' fun!

Aloha, Dave

Keaau, HI

The insect resembles other insects in the Rhopalidae, Scentless Plant Bugs.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I think Kalpavriksha's on the right track in family Pyrrhocoridae and genus Dysdercus. Here's one found in India:

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=5082073

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

claypa, that one looks a perfect match.

I hav made an entry for it in BugFiles here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/5188/

Dinu, how about adding your iamge to that page,

Kennedy

Sarasota, FL

re: With over 1 million different species of insects in the world, the chances of this insect from tropical India also occurring in either France or the USA is very close to zero.

I hate to disagree. We have many new bug plagues here in Florida-one is called Sri Lankan weevil and also occurs in India;
Now we also have Erythrina gall wasp. Jet age has spread it from Africa, through India, Indonesia, to Hawaii and it first started on trees near the Miami international airport.
Fire ants, citrus root weevils, thread waisted wasp, citrus leaf miner, & mole crickets have found their way here. There are idiots that release exotic walking catfish, Melaleuca, Hydrilla, Brown anole, Cuban anole, pythons, lion fish, tarantulas and such intentionally.

Keaau, HI

Well said Kalpavriksha,

Hawai'i is being overrun with alien species; the gall wasp is destroying our native Erythrina tomemtosa. A sad loss because of human folly.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks everybody, I've added the image of the Red Cotton Bug to the BF.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.