weeds in the newspaper

Enkoping, Sweden

hi friends
I was thinking about to use newspaper on the soil so the weeds couldnt come up.My idea is that I plant my toms out and then I put out newspaper around them with a little sand ower so the wind dont take them.What do you think?

Roger Dahlstrom

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I've tried this, and opened out cardboard boxes. Seems to work well as long as you can keep them well pinned down to contact the soil. I use bricks or stones. depends how much wind you have (steer clear of the beans LOL)

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Roger
I lay out newspaper and cover it with leaves and compost.
It works great.

Paul

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I did that last year with the new flower beds I put in. I put down layers of newspaper and put pine bark over them. When I planted, I just moved the pine bark, cut a hole in the newspaper and dug the hole. Then I put it all back, except over where I had planted. Worked great up until the cats started playing in there and moved that bark all around and shredded some of the newspaper. Then I started getting some weed and grass problems, since it was a new bed. If you don't have critters, then it does work great. I haven't tried it for veggies, but I might this year.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

This method works well for nearly anything if indeed you don't have cats, dogs, poultry, etc. that move and remove the mulch material. Newpaper is also the basis for the lasgana method of composting and making new somewhat raised beds. You put down a thick layer of newspaper, then a layer of compost, some leaves, more compost or potting soil or whaterver you happen to have, until you get the depth you desire. Then plant seeds or plants and water. This description is likely missing some steps or ingredients, but I'm sure someone will set me straight and tell you the whole proper process.

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's a better idea.

Soak your newspaper first in a strong flour and water paste. (Get that flour from grocers, free, by asking them for all their out-of-code-date flour. It clears their shelves...)

Then lay the soaked newspapers as a sort of papier mache.

It binds to the soil (no wind problems). It suppresses weeds. And it lasts for five months before decomposing gracefully.

You can then drill in any seed or transplant you need, using a cordless drill. Magnificent precision...

I call it YOG (Yeoman's Organic Glop).

Do also remember the phrase 'YOGIT!'

This is what YOG technicians offically mutter, when they have inadvertently stepped in the YOG - before it has dried.

Seriously: YOG works.

JOHN YEOMAN

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

What a brilliant idea - i'm going to try that. Thanks John
:)
(Hope YOG doesnt HURT!)

Ivinghoe Beds, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Only when you - wisely - sprinkle it with chopped briars to deter molluscs.

Then step on it with a naked foot.

(Happens all the time...)

JOHN

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.