Anyone have a pond in zone 4?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

This message was edited Sunday, Feb 10th 4:19 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I've heard some people keep the koi in a kiddie pool over the winter ,or you could build a large box and put a pond liner in it to keep the koi in,just hook up your filter and pump....

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Crimson, I'm in your zone, I leave my fish in the pond all winter ( but, I have goldfish, not Koi ) My pond is not even 2ft. deep ~ I sink the hardy plants to the bottom ~ Even the "Hardy Water lilly" ( last year is the first year I had water lillies tho ) and I use a bird-bath heater to keep a spot open in the pond to make sure toxic gasses get out and eveything has worked out fine for about 5 or 6 yrs now ... No problems and the fish do great.
Also .... When outside, the goldfish go into a state of hybernation in the winter,So I stop feeding them once it gets cold out and don't feed them again untill it warms up in the spring. I have never lost a fish.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Crimson,
If your pond is 3 feet deep the fish will be fine, just remember to keep the ice open so gases can escape. I use a tank deicer, of you have a farm store near by they have them for about $20, and I suspend it over the pond on a long 2x4, so it just sets in the water. Works great and the water is still open for the birds. Give it a try, Im in zone 5 .
Annabelle 15

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.