help!

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

I have a new house (new to me) that has nothing in the front yard but a black walnut tree (I know I have to watch what is planted near this, my garden will be away from it) and my struggling butterfly bush I brought with me. I am putting in a garden this spring and want more than just flowers. I want some interesting shrubs, not the usual evergreen things that everyone puts in front of their house. They will be incorporated into my garden, I need at least 3. I am zone 5, partial to a lot of shade. (west facing, shade from house, then partial shade from walnut tree late afternoon)

Are willows and contorted hazelnut shrubs or huge trees???? I would love to grow these for arrangements and interest. I have only seen branches. Julie

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Hello Julie :) Check out this small retailer in Cinci, Ohio < http://home.infospace.com/eman15 > Frank carries good stock and the rarest of the rare ; I have known him for 4 years and he is very reputable . Rock On!!

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Chooch, I am looking into to getting the Lagerstroemia Indica "petite form" from your friend. Question- what does perennial regrowth mean? Julie

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Perennial regrowth means that particular plant
will die down to the ground and resprout from the root when spring arrives AKA root hardy resprout . Excellent choice on the Petite Crepe Myrtle .. .. IT needs lots of sun and heat so plant it in a warm sunny location of your yard.

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Chooch, thanks for all the help! I think its back to the drawing board for me. My sunniest garden area only gets about 6 hours of sun a day in summer, oh well, at least I am learning about shrubs and tress in the process. I don't know any names of trees and shrubs, so I have to look all of them up on the web. I will keep the Crepe Myrtle in mind as I have 4 dead pines and an apple tree with a major problem in the backyard to take down. that will lighten things up a bit! Julie

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi Dignbloom,

Six hours of direct sun would be a minimum for your crepe myrtle. You may still want to give it a try.

Sally

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks Sally, it is a beauty!!! I may try it, maybe I can prune out a few branches of the walnut for more light. Julie

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi Dignbloom,

Now the bad news. The black walnut tree produces a substance called jugalon (sp?) that inhibits other plants from growing under and around it. That may be why it is the only plant in your front yard. Somewhere here in all my papers I have a list of what will grow under it. If you intend on keeping the tree you will need such a list or risk losing a lot of plants that are not compatable with your tree.

Sally

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Sally, I came across a website on that and printed the info out, the garden area is pretty well out from under the canopy of it, we'll try it & see. The old owners wife left him & he dug up all the flowers she had planted years ago. All he left was the flower bulbs and a lilac out back. Julie

Camden, NJ

try golden spirea and burning bush can be propated from cuttings

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks drcaseyjr, I am definately getting the burning bush, forsythia (cuttings from neighbor) and red twig dogwood. I will have to look into the golden spirea and see what it is all about. thanks everyone for the info! Julie

This message was edited Monday, Apr 16th 10:05 AM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

No one seems to have answered your question about contorted filbert's (Harry Lauder's Walking Stick), so I shall make an attempt with what scant knowledge I have. My contorted filbert is about 3-4 years old and barely 2 feet tall, bought from a man who uses them in bonsai because of slow growth. A good friend has one about 5-6 years old and about 3 feet tall. I am told that although they are slow growers they may eventually reach 10 feet... if we live long enough!
-darius

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Darius, thank you so much! I forgot I even asked that question! Someone is trying to root a cutting for me, so it will be quite some time before it gets too big! Even at 10' I think I can work into my garden quite nicely - although it sounds like it won't be taking much room for a while! thanks again! Julie

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Dignbloom: The corkscrew willow reaches a height of 15 ft. It is very easy to root in water. Also is a fast grower, hey it is a willow. LOL...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.