I WANT A HEATED GREENHOUSE......

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

......and I'm going to hold my breath until I get one!
_ _
o o
{ * }

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Every body NEEEDS one!!! Especially where you are. How big is your GH? If it's not really big maybe it won't cost a fortune. Good luck.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL!!!! funny, let me know if it works!!!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It worked for me, lol.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

this year i am heating my 12'x12' with the burner of a gas outdoor cooker. so far no problems.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Now everyone take a deep breath, now hold....and let me know if it works.

(Zone 8a)

Oh NO...she must be passed out by now!!! LOL

P.S. Aimee, when do you ever get any sleep?

This message was edited Saturday, Feb 2nd 9:47 PM

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

is it working????

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

No. It's not working. :-( Not for me anyway.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Inda,
You have to whine about all the greenhouse here at daves!
I just kept saying honey look at this picture of daves new greenhouse and this person has one too!WHAANNN WHHAAAANNN
I want a greenhouse too!
Presto-We buildt one!!!
*A good Whine!
as long as you dh doesnt tell you to put a cork in that whine!!!(thats what i tell the kidz)

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't have one, but I am out of breath! I know it won't work everywhere to do what I do, but it might surprise you. My greenporch has been heated with space heaters until last winter. I wasn't able to keep tabs on it, so just left it and prayed it would make it. The only heat was produced by 2-3 100watt light bulbs. This porch is on the southeast corner of a rock house, with two walls of rock and a concrete floor. It has arches on the open sides, and the ceiling is about 9 feet or more high, with only beaded boards between the outside and the attic above. On the southern end, an oleander, sophora and ligustrum have grown taller than the roof, so they provide shade in hot months but keep out needed light in the winter. This makeshift shelter has functioned as my greenhouse in a most economical way. I desperately want to enlarge it and improve the lighting and temperature control, but it is way down on the list of things that take time and money. It has my plants thinking they have a heated greenhouse for now.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

My greenhouse is about 8'x16', and I don't think my DH had even considered heating, having completed it in June. The next spring, as usual, I had started so many seeds, and all of them survived transplant, so I started stressing. Of course, I always share these things with my DH, so he decided it was easier to heat the greenhouse than to move to a motel. We have a Toyostove oil stove that heats the place quite well from the first of April until mid-May. This is quite a feat, since we have to dig a trench in the snow to reach the greenhouse on April 1, and the danger of frost doesn't seem to end around here til late May. I think I have a picture of my DH digging us out on the Photo forum. We've started construction on a 22x32 greenhouse, and we'll have to get a waste oil burner to heat it, I'lm afraid. Propane and electricity are much too expensive here in Seward, Alaska. Across the peninsula, they enjoy the benefits of natural gas, the lucky buggers...WZ

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Well, I think I have my DH talked into a conservatory addition onto the side of the house, I just don't know how soon I can make it happen. It will entail going out through the side of the house with a doorway, but people do that every day.

I can just picture it-- a stone floor with palms and other plants all along the outside, and a nice little table in the middle with a lovely afternoon tea waiting for me. And that wonderful fresh "just after the rain" smell of a greenhouse.

Anyone wanna come over to my conservatory for tea? :-)

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

That sounds wonderful. I'd love to come for tea too.

Now I have something going around in my head. LOL! I don't know where this comes from, but, I'm thinking...IndaShade, in the conservatory, with a hand shovel. From the game Clue I think.

Don't mind me, I'm slowly losing my mind I think, but the scary part is that I'm enjoying it. LOL!

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Well then Joan, I will put on a pot of Earl Gray, and we can lose our minds together.

I may just get a pretty singing canary and a waterfall to add to the overall audio-visual effects. What do you think?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Sounds very relaxing. Let me know when it's done.

Are you going to heat it from the house or add it's own heating system? I want to have a greenhouse or something similar, but since it gets so cold here, I am stumped about heating it.

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

We have hot-water baseboard heat in the house, so one option is to tap into one of the heat runs, and run it out into the greenhouse. Or we could get a small, natural gas furnace. My hubby knows how to run gas lines, so that might be the cheapest, less messy way to go.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Im glad to see that Inda! grab me a cup too! =]

My sister's husband just built her a greenhouse, they live in Texas so I guess heating it won't be to big a problem. He is a carpenter and they built it out of used Pallets and some heavy duty plastic. The pallets were free so It only cost them 9.00. Wish I could do that, but it's so cold here and not sure on the best route to heat it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.