I need help too, please

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi everyone,

It is now time to relandscape my front yard. I did the back yard this past summer. Since I don't live in a rural area, I need to have some curb appeal. I would love to have a Country Garden, but I don't think the style of the house would work with it. I have some ideas that I can share with you, so hope some of these will help. Please feel free to add any ideas, I am all ears.

1. Size of front area is: From left wall to driveway – 27ft…house to sidewalk - 22ft….front of window area – 14’2”…walkway width – 7’10”
2. The roofs in my neighborhood are all deeply slanted and are kinda of boring looking, I would love to have the area above the double doors possible peaked or raised somehow to give it some character.
3. The house is now a drap gray and we will be having it painted. I would like a nice warm color and coordinating trim.
4. I would truly love to have a front porch or sitting area in front of the window, but I can’t picture out how with my house style, whatever this style is called?
5. I also would like to not have any grass at all, just plants and a path or ?
6. My most important “want” is to have no straight lines if I can. This looks like an ugly square box with a line to the front door. Curves, would be lovely. A curved walkway would be wonderful, but I still have to consider the short straight retaining wall in front and to the left of the walkway. A friend of mine said maybe we could disguise the straight lines with plantings???
7. The dogs use the front area for their business on their walks, should I just have sturdy plants there or should I raise this area up alittle?
8. Now regarding the hardscape material. My DH does not want any red brick, the whole neighborhood has this now. We looked into some beautiful slate pavers, but that is pretty costly and then we saw some Three Rivers Flat Stone. The colors were all so pretty and natural. Then what do we do about the cinderblocks and capping on the retaining wall? Should we stucco the blocks and put some other type of caps on top?

Thanks for the help,
Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal
This thread has 14 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!