Old, potted Gardenia questions...best place to ask?

Fairfax, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm starting here as I don't yet know which forum is best for these questions.

I inherited a gardenia in a pot of about 8-10" after my mom died in Feb 99. It used to bloom for her, as I recall. It's been on her filtered light patio for years. All last year, and still, it had buds which never opened. At one point it had yellowed leaves & I gave it Ironite. The leaves are now green, but it still has all these plump buds which never opened. Since they're there, it makes it hard to cut them all off, despite thinking they'll never open. It's about 1-1.5' tall, and 2.5-3' wide.

I've read that they like being rootbound, so don't know if I should repot it or not.

Should I prune it down, taking off all those buds?

Should I just add some new soil on top and/or other amendments?

If you don't know, but know someone who's the right perosn to ask, please advise.

TIA
Karen

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

My sister had 2 Gardenia's that she planted outside and couldn't get them to bloom. She was told by an older lady who owned a farm right down the road from there's, to take a few bites of an apple and put it down in the center of the plant and it would bloom and they did. It certainly couldn't hurt to try. It worked for her! I know how precious those plants are from mom's who pass away. I have a 12 year old peace lily that came from my mom's funeral and it's still doing great! Good Luck. If taking a bite of the apple doesn't work, just try a whole apple! It really did work!!

Thanks and Good Luck, Traci S

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 8:51 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.