Anybody have success with gentians?

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Has anybody had success with growing any of the gentians - such as what soil type, pH, ideal temps, max/min amount of sun per day, particular variety, germination secrets, type and amount of fertilizer used (if any) and if you've had any success with pot culture? I know that's a lot of questions but I'm obsessive by nature and, besides, you can never know too much!! I know they can be a bit tricky, especially re temperature but the color is extraordinary!!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Patrick

I love Gentians too and much depends on the species. The best success I had was with Gentiana verna which is a tough little spring flowering chap, can also be found in white as well as deep blue (sadly the cats did for the poor fella).

As a general rule, Autumn flowering Gentians need neutral to acid soil, the Spring flowering types are easier going and like neutral soils best, check up on each species though because there are exceptions to the rule. The big yellow flowered Gentians can be really impressive, this year will be my frist year of trying to germinate and grow them.

If summers are cool and damp in your area then they are happy in full sun, if not they need shade from hot sun so light or partial shade is a good idea just in case. They don't like hot dry conditions at all.

As with most plants the seeds do much better when they are ripe. They are a bit fussy on this point and since the seed can be expensive something to keep in mind although the seed viability can be up to 2 years.

Sow most species between November and February in an open cold frame best temps are 0-25F but they will come up if its a bit milder. They will take months to appear rather than weeks so just leave them be.

Muncie, IN(Zone 5B)

Baa --

Many, many thanks for the information. As my perennial beds are pretty much all gardener's blue (read purple), white and yellow, I think I'll give the yellows a try as well. I'll shade them from afternoon sun in general but will try them in 2 or 3 places.

Patrick

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Patrick,

I have some bottled gentian (G. andrewsii) in front of the house, north side. Being native here, they love my damp, acid clay soil, but seem a bit depressed with full shade. We took out a large shrub last fall, so I'm waiting to see if they perk up a bit in the late afternoon sun. In the woods, they seem to grow best in dappled shade along a the upper bank creekside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.