Perennials

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

Although i live in NW England i am classed as being similar as your zone 6/7 but not as hot in the summer as you so which perennials do you suggest are the easiest to grow?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Shelia what do you mean by easy? Easy, as in well behaved with little care? Easy, as in spreads & grows like a weed? Are you looking to buy plants or are you thinking about starting seeds?

I wish to grow some, did plant some Delphiniums last year and something has come up but are they Delphis as i grew them outside in pots.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I made a post in Morph's thread about perennials that are "stand bys" for me - in my zone 5. I'll copy it and paste it here for you. You'd have even a wider selection in zones 6/7.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Here's some I suggested for Morph. You should go check out the whole thread tho .. There's some great suggestions from others too. http://davesgarden.com/showthread/176391.html

Yarrows (achillia) - Some don't like them cuz they can be too spready. The yellow varieties (achillea filipendulina) will stay in a clump but there are some very nice pastel & red ones out there.

Campanula pericifolia (Peachleaf Bellflower) is one of my favorites. It comes in white or lavender blue shades and is easy from seed. It has a long blooming period and will bloom a second time if cut back.

Balloon Flower (platycodon) – is easy from seed

Purple coneflower (Echinacea) – every garden need to have this

Some of the butterfly weeds are nice. Asclepias incarnata & asclepias tuberosa.

Foxgloves - they're really biennial but will re-seed if you let them. I just love foxgloves.

Bee balm - I love it. There are reds, purples, pinks and whites. They are easy from seed but getting a couple of plants is easier. They’re fragrant and hummers & butterflies love them. Go for a mildew resistant variety.

Tall garden phlox is also nice. Again I’d get a couple of plants and go for a mildew resistant variety. It blooms later in the season, which is nice.

Coreopsis gradiflora – always provides a long season of color.
Heliopsis is also a long bloomer
Anthemis tinctoria is another long season bloomer

Liatris – easy from seed
Globe thistle (echinops) is easy from seed

Malva – both malva sylvestris and malva moschata are easy and loaded with blooms. They aren’t rust prone like hollyhocks are.

Shasta daisies

Asters for late color

Mid and shorter flowers might be gold alyssum, dianthus, iberis (candytuft), nepeta (not catnip, it’s weedy but the blue catmints), columbines, veronicas, rudbeckia, hardy geraniums, coreopsis verticillata & c.rosea….

Lilies, daylilies, bearded & Siberian iris, peonies, and spring bulbs add a lot to a perennial bed and could all be considered for fall planting.

Wow that is a great list-thanks very much

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.