growing hops?

Tilton, NH(Zone 4a)

I am going to try hops this summer, as I want the seed pods for use in wreaths. Does anyone grow these and can you tell me what they like? Fertile soil, sandy or loamy, sun or shade?

Thank you in advance,
Cedar

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Linnaea..are you related to the great plantsman, himself??just kidding!!!!! Anyhow, yes I have three vines growing in my garden..this is a house-eater. they love alkaline soil, mixed with shrp or clean sand(for good drainage).. and like I say, they will grab at anything in their way..so you have to do the bossing and controlling from the beginning!!! the flowers are unique..did you know they sell them in florists' stores for $$$$$$$$. Very easy vine to maintain..every yr in the fall, I take them right down to the ground..have fun, Elaine

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I grow them and they grow like crazy,I just stuck them in the ground,nothing special added,I usually make a wreath out of mine,a big wreath!

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

I have the green and the aurea. Everything said above is true and more. They climbed my arch, headed up the cedar hedge, crossed into the neighbor's trees and still kept going. That was the second year. The third year I was the boss not the plant. Give this guy big room to grow. Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.