Hummingbird over-wintering here

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

The radio station I listen to in the car on the way to work is a call-in show. There's a man in Carter County, Tennessee, who calls in almost every morning. His name is "Sarge". He has a female ruby-throated hummingbird who has stayed all winter. He makes it 3 special meals a day and the hummingbird is out there every morning, waiting for him. Seems like they have a special connection. It's always so good to hear his report several times a week.

Mansfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh Wow, Love the little fellows. Ours left early this fall, hope they come back early!

Lorain, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, Cool!!

Arlington, TN

This is a great story in Readers Digest a few years back that is now a book called A Hummingbird In My House By Arnette Heidcamp.
In late October 1988 a lone Ruby-Throated Hummingbird was found in the authors garden. Enjoy the activities of "Squeak" with author Arnette Heidcamp.

"One unseasonable cold day in late October 1988, long after all the other little hummingbirds had left for their sojourn in more tropical climes, I found left behind in my garden, a young male ruby-throated hummingbird. Alone there he would surely die." And that is how Squeak came to be the author's guest for that whole winter, growing up and thriving happily in th everdant sunroom of her house in Saugerties, New York.

Day after day Arnette Heidcamp photgraphed Squeak in all his joyous activities, from the time he stretched his wings in the morning until he settled himself for the night. She snapped him while he visited flowers or ate from his feeder, as he flew around the room for his early exercises, as he ingeniously bathed himself. Much of the time Squeak would perch and preen, then sunbathe and scratch. A favorite flower was the hibiscus, whose petals he impatiently pierced to get to the nectar. He was also inordinaltey fond of insects bountifully supplied by his hostess. He always slept on the skinniest branch he could find.

Toward spring, Squeak began to molt to replace his old and worn-out feathers.

Finally the day arrived to releaste Squeak, May 14, when the other hummers began to return. After half an hour of coaxing to get him out of the house, Squeak finally flew out and over the rooftop. That was the last Arnette saw of him.

I found this on a website about the book. It is an amazing story for fans of hummingbirds

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

That's a wonderful book! I bought it for my mother, and had to borrow it after she read it. ;-)

Where I live we only have the rufus, and they are gone until February or March. But my family live less than 1½ hours away, and they have hummers all year. Lucky folks!

Please keep us informed about the over-wintering hummer.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

That is a wonderful book - Daedelus books had a book for sale in one of their catalogs called "Hummingbirds My Tiny Treasures" by Arnette Heidecamp. Its actually three of her previous books in one volume - "A Hummingbird in my House: The Story of Squeak', "Rosie: My Rufous Hummingbird", "Hummingbirds: My Winter Guests". Its a hardback volume with the same high quality pages and glossy photos for ONLY $6!!! I bought four for very impressive gifts! Even if its not listed in their current mail order catalog they may still have some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.