elephant ear ?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I wanted to dig mine up this past fall and store them for a new bed. Well....fall here was only one day and I was busy. So here it is winter, but we have days when it's 60° and I wondered if I can take them up now and store until spring? how do I store them? Could I move them in the yard this time of year?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I've only had them for the last 2 years so I can't help much. Last year I forgot to dig mine up til late too, and by then they were already mush :(

This year I grew them in a large container and just moved the whole container into the greenhouse.

Storing them is as simple as storing any other non hardy bulb like glads or dahlias. Dig em up, make sure they aren't already mush and IMO store them til spring when the freezing temps have passed.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

they're hardy here, jody, I just want to change the bed before spring. Cala told me this morning that I can dig them up and cut off any mush and store in dry cool place. Now if i can just get out there:)

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

IN here where we live.. We leave it in ground around year.. Saw Walmart have sell them (BIG BULBS)... I think about buy me two LOL.... I love them.. They are kinda expenisve which it cost $5.00 each??? Where can I can find the cheaper for big bulbs????

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

I just got my first issue of Logee's plant catalogue and they want from $6.95 to $7.95 Plus s/h so, you do the math. But, they probably carry a different type that walmarts do. you could probably check them out on their website at http://logees.com

This message was edited Friday, Feb 22nd 7:33 PM

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7a)

You can get some at www.touchofnature.com....3 for $ 6.95 plus shipping

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to let all of you know that I have so many elephant ears that I pull them up out of the grown and throw them away all the time. I live in the south and the bulbs never freeze . . they just keep multiplying. I would gladly dig as many as you would like and send them for postage.

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Would LOVE to try one or what ever! I have only tried once to grow them in a pot after we had come back from Cape May,N.J.~~ They looked so pretty! I forgot all about them till looking around on this site!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Brugnanny i would like some for postage!
I remember my first plant trade i went to-they all went nuts over the plants I pull and throw away!! I was chuckling to myself the whole day! =]

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Brugnanny I would love some for postage too if you have enough. thanks so much for sharing I am afraid the ones I had last year froze too.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Brugnanny, I would love to give a good home to some of the elephant ears too. I love them, and they are one of the few things I'm willing to dig every fall. They are worth the effort to me. I envy all of you who can leave them in the ground all year and have them multiply. When I grow up, I'm gonna move to a higher garden zone. And, I'm bringing my elephant ears with me. LOL!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Brugnanny, I'd love to have some too, if you have any left to send.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

You got more mail!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Our WalMart has them for $2.50 each.

tig,hope you don't mind that I intrude in on your thread here,just didn't want to start a new one on the same subject.
Okay,my DH just bought 6 Elephant Ear bulbs; why 6,I'll never know but anyway,I know they go in shade,planted about 4 inches deep and take alot of water and the bulbs get mushy if not dug up in the winter. Now what else do I need to know about these things? Do you fertilize? If so, which kind and how much and how often. Our yard is basically all sun except for behind the house which faces northeast. How far out from the house should I plant these? I thought about on the end of the house but that's southeast and later on during the summer months,I'm afraid that they may get too much sun there,plus I have a Clematis that I thought I would plant on the southeast side as someone has suggested for my Clematis. Face it folks,I just don't have much shade here. Guess I could plant them along side of DH;s workshop where it would get shade late in the afternoon and the morning sun. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Six bulbs; he's got to be crazy. One bulb is really hugh,have 1 medium size bulb and then 4 smaller ones that came in a package. Now if I planted the smaller ones in containers;if I can that is; how big of container?
I was told by a friend to ask questions but feel uneasy about asking for anything but I would appreciate any help or suggestions that you can give me on these things. Have never planted these before so totally clueless.
Thanks in advance for all the hlep.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I kept mine in full sun, I mean full sun all day long. I've just started to move them to the shade. And I never watered them extra either, except the one I had in a pot last year. You'll want a big container, at least 5 gallon for the bulb to grow and increase, I think. If you do put them in pots, and they don't like your sun, you can move them that way.

Thanks tig,but I think with this Texas heat and the hot summers that we have,planting in sun wouldn't work here. I just want to plant the smaller bulbs in containers and the other 2 larger ones in the ground. Even in containers,I don't think that I would be able to move them very easy so where ever I put them,that is where they will have to stay. I do have 3 empty tubs;those big round ones that have the rope handles, so by the time you fill those with dirt,they are just too heavy to move around.They are bigger than 5 gal. It takes 2 people to move them and my DH works all the time and is very seldom home. Why this man of mine bought 6,I'll never know. Maybe he figured I would fan him with the big leaves they get................I don't think so. I thought 1 bulb would be a great plenty. I know what I would like to do with the other 5,but best not say.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.