Red Shouldered Hawks

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We have had a pair of these for several years that nest about 50 yards from our back yard.A woman from the raptor center nearby came and told me what they are. It is mating season now, and they sure are noisy flying all around above our yard. It scares the little birds at the feeders and they take cover.As far as I know they haven't caught anything at the feeders and are to busy with each other to really notice what is below. I love to hear them call and watch them doing their flights and crazy dives. They are noisy when they have babies and we come out back. We have red tailed hawks, perigrine falcons and kestrels near here too. The red tailed hawks won't nest as close to dwellings as the red shouldered ones.

Geneseo, IL(Zone 5a)

Isn't it the greatest ever to have the wildlife right at our backdoors. Were trying to figure out how to draw more at our new home. My husband says "we hunt hunters". I think he'd love have a wildlife refuse (am I saying that right) at the new place.We had the eagles for just a week or so. Wish they'd come back. The hawks seem to have there own terriory. seeing the same bird on the same telephone pole all the time. really neat. The finches, cardinals, blue jays are where we live now and to watch them is the greatest gift.. We are blessed by nature!!! Bon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.