Incarvillea 'Cheron' & Ceratotheca triloba?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Catalogs are too tempting - I always seem to find some new seeds that just call my name :) Here's some info on these, in case they're as new to ya'll as they were to me:

Incarvillea sinensis 'Cheron' http://www.em.ca/garden/ann_incarvillea_sin1.html

Ceratotheca triloba 'South American Foxglove' http://plantsdatabase.com/go/897.html

Can anyone tell me if these will do okay in the mid-South? I'd hate to order the seed to find they aren't well suited for our climate.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I think the SA Foxglove will do Ok. It might need some extra water when it's dry. I had mine in partial shade and they were fine. Send me an SASE and I'll send you some seeds.

I've grown Cheron and found the plant disappointing although it was quick to germinate and grow. I don't know how it will fair in your climate, maybe it will do a lot better than it did here.

Sue, thank you so much for the offer! You are generous almost to a fault, you know :) (((thanks!!!)))

Baa, our climates are most definitely different, so perhaps the Cheron will fare better here? In particular, did it not flower well for you, or did you have other problems with it? And do you know if it's a hybrid or simply a named cultivar?

Thanks you two - anyone else have experience with these plants?

Vols

The Cheron grew about 3 inches tall and flowered ok for such a small plant LOL, the foilage is nice, its very dissected but ours only had about 3 leaves per plant. Give it some shade midday because its a lot hotter where you are in the summer, I think our soil was just too heavy.

Its a variety of I. sinensis, if you're lucky you may find it perennial.

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

I grew the Certotheca triloba 'Alba' last year. It is essential to stake it if you live in a windy area. It gets 3-4' tall. Mine all blew over after a storm. I live on the plains so its really windy here. I grew it in full sun. I can send you some white flowered seeds if you like.
Jackie

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Terry,

I know this thread is very old, but it came up on google when I was searching for some info on the cheron incarvillea.

Did you ever get any seeds or plants of this plant. I bought a 6 pack of them this summer and they are doing so well and also producing lots of seeds. I have the white one. If you would like some seeds of this beautiful plant, just let me know.

BTW, are you still trying to come to the KYRU? If you are, I can bring them to you then.

Donna

Oh, wow - I had forgotten all about this thread! The second generation of C. triloba are doing great for me (thanks again to Sue for sharing some of hers!)

Donna, if you have the 'Cheron', that'd be great! I'm still *planning* to make it, at least on Saturday!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Terry, I am so glad you are going to possible be there on Sat. Can't wait to meet you. I will bring the seeds with me.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.