3-17-2001

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Good morning and Happy St Pats Day

We went to a Co-op Extention Pasture Meeting yesterday. Stan was one of the presenters. He wrote a nice story of our farm and read it. His brother was taking bets on when he'd faint - thank Heaven, he didn't make any money! Stan likes to be in on the conversation, but he's not much of one to get up in front.

The main speaker was a farmer from Indiana who has a seasonal herd - dries everything off in December and has them all fresh by the middle of March. It was quite interesting to hear about, but how do you get yourself to go back to milking after all that time off??? He was telling us all about his pasture management. most of it is what we've been doing since 1982.

We sat with some freinds from the other side of the county. Stan met them at a dairy management school a few years ago and we see them at the extention meetings. They were in one of those difficult situations where they bought off her parent's farm and had her siblings to deal with every time they wanted to make an improvement.

I'm happy to report that the car behaved itself.

Now, if I can shake this cold this weekend and if the snow will quit and if I get a nice nap later, maybe I can get caught up! Did you ever notice how far behind just one day away can get you??

Patty, belated birthday wishes. It sounds like you had a good time. You have to wonder what the schools are teaching our kids! Milk from a cow - RADICAL!

To all of those out watching newborns, soft breezes and warmer weather and animals that let you help them!

Hi Eva Mae!

Kathleen

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!