Chives

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

My chives are starting to come up. They are about 2-3 inches tall right now. How soon can I start snipping a few pieces? I love the flavor it adds to food.

Thanks,

Sharon

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Sharon, if you have a large planting you can snip a few now. I do that. They grow so fast down here..Lisa

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Lisa. I just love the flavor they add to food. I really missed them this winter. I've got some seeds sprouting now to grow in a container outside during the summer. I'll bring that container in for the winter.

Sharon

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

They are good! I just love parsley too. I have a patch growing by my back door. One for the butterflies and one for me! Lisa

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon - I have one bunch for snipping and the other for flowering. I love the way these look when they flower! They never seem to mind when I trim them.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

How well do they winter-over? Neither my parsley or my chives bloomed last year, their first year. Do they bloom the second year?

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

The chives come back no problem - parsley here is an annual here.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you, ladies, for your help. I do appreciate it!

Sharon

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

SMSpear: Chives bloom the 2nd. year as do most perennials. Parsley alot of times is bi-ennial and will bloom the second year and reseed itself. If you love the taste of chives, try chive blossom vinegar--it is delicious made into a vinagerette or salad dressing. Use white vinegar,about 1 pint or 1 quart and a handful of chive blossoms when they are at there peak. Let set in jar for a couple of weeks.It makes the prettiest pink vinegar. You could also put some parsley in with it.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Debby,

Ooh, that sounds really good. I will definitely try that! How about how long will it keep? I'm assuming you need to filter out the blossoms after it sits for several weeks?

Thank you so much,

Sharon

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Sharon, Oh I forgot to say strain. I use a coffee filter in a strainer. The vinegar will keep up to a year, or more.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Debby! I will definetly try that vinegar if they bloom this summer. Of course, I always have coffee filters around here!

Sharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.