Not Fixed

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

We found the problem tonight when Bill went back a few minutes ago to check it out. Cracked Heat Exchanger. It's still under warranty, so that's good. The part is expensive, over $500. Hope they just exchange the heater so we won't have to move all those ferns.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Cala, a cracked heat exchanger will keep the pilot blown out but should not smoke and put out noxious fumes. I am so worried about your stuff, can you get enuff heat in there for tonite until you can get somebody to fix it?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

at least it's under warranty :(

OK, I learned two things today.......Bill is NOT a heater repair man and it's better to leave things alone and call a professional. DH had the (not so) bright idea to plug the orafice that went to the cracked thingy. He crimped two wires that went to some kind of regulator on the back of the heater. He then decided to take the regulator off another heater and put on this one. Exactly the same, or so he thought. Well, he just got home after waiting for the "pros" to come fix his mess. I bit my tongue so as not to say "I told you to leave it alone." Did he ever call the company we bought it from and get them to order the new heat exchanger which is still under warranty? NO he did not!! Arrrrggggh, what will we do with these men?

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Cala did you move all the ferns? Now about your other question what to do with men you can't live with them and can't live without them.lol

No, didn't move the ferns. Bill said "don't move them, I can fix it." And you know the rest of the story.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssseeeeeee don't tell us those ferns bought it....

Heater is running, the exchanger is still broken. Bill has promised to call the company that sold it to us to get it replaced. It's only supposed to be 23 tonight, so the ferns should be okay, even with the heater half working. They have some soot on them but I think I can rinse it off with the hose. We do have a small propane heater that we can use to keep the gh above freezing if necessary.
We may have to have a fern washing party.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Cala, I hope your stuff is okay. I cannot imagine that happening. Guess I'd move them all in Mo's heated little room off the garage. Mo would have to move in with me, swamp and all. He has been swimming so now does not smell like swamp. In fact, he has been swimming all day, he doesn't know it is cold outside. Good luck to your ferns.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Ok Cala guess we will have a fern washing party instead of a moving party. I sure hope they make it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.