Can some kind, knowledgeable soul help me?

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi...I have just received a cryptomeria in the mail. It is sort of balled and bagged presently sitting on my countertop. It's in natural state (mostly upright). It's approximately 12" tall.
I need specific info on this tree and it's needs for soil medium and even good directions on potting, please.
I am new to bonsai and really want to try to have some success with this beautiful tree.
Thanks!

ehrikon, Switzerland(Zone 6b)

12 " is high, (is it ca.36 cm?)It needs an 8 " long pot.
soil: 1/3 potground, 1/3 sand and 1/3 fine stone chips.
let 1/3 of the old soil and put in a 2/3 biger pot.
I would cut the tree shorter, but it's difficult to see how much without picture.
post some pic in the photo thread, may I help you better.

bert

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, as it is in natural state right now, I am assuming there will be some real pruning involved. (I will post pics when I can get them.)
I am curious about the term potground. I don't know what that is...is it organic matter? I want to be sure I get the right stone chips...just a little gravel?
Will get the 8" long pot, sand, and gravel tonight. Will wait to hear about the potground. :)
Thank you for your help, Bert! I am really grateful!

Jennifer

can you find any potground called "Bonsai-soil", if not use a normal, good plantsoil.

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, here's what I had to do. I used a temporary pot for now. I have mixed 1/3 potting soil, 1/3 sand, and 1/3 gravel. I screened it all and seem to have a good mix.
There is an earthworm living in the tree roots that I couldn't get out, so he lives in the pot now.
I will be taking pics of the tree and posting them so you can give me advice on the pruning.
Thanks for you help so far!
Oh, and I am trying to figure out a watering schedule now.

Jennifer

worm 's no problem

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Jennifer

Never water your bonsai on a fix schedule. Water only when the soil is dry. I stick a popsicle stick, plant label, or a toothpick into the soil, pull it out to see how far below soil level is dry. Some people suggested water only when the top .5 to 1" is dry, depending on how deep the pot is.

Tim

Round Lake, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay....it's a bad pic, but I am going to try to get a shot of the Crytomeria in the photos area. Help on styling is greatly appreciated.
And, yes, it is in a temporary shallow saucer for now. Needed to get it in soil...no bonsai pot sellers in the area here. :(
Please give feedback.

Jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.