Water Falls

Raphine, VA(Zone 6b)

I have in a small pond and am putting in a larger one on a slope of about 30* drop.
Ok, anyone who has put in your own Water Falls to two ponds, I need advice on how to do it.
I've read all the info from sites but want first hand knowledge.
Thank you so much!!
((((((((HUGS&LOVE))))))))

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Check this out!!! I saved it so I can refer back to it. Right now I can't remember which DG member posted it but I will get back to you on it!
DH bought me a second pond and we are also going to add a waterfall. I have a few other links that I can give you when I have more time!!!!!
http://community-2.webtv.net/irislynx/NEWPOND/

sue

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

that's Iris' pond. I plan to work from her pictures this spring!!

Thank's tiG! I just could not remember who's it was!!! It is really a great looking pond!!!!!!
sue

Raphine, VA(Zone 6b)

That's rreally pretty!!
But....
My Ponds are about 40 yards apart.
so I need to do a long waterfalls,lol.
thanks for the pictures!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

THankyou Tig, Ruby, And RavenBuck!! .... I finished the back of it and don't know if you seen it or not so I included a pic to show you ~> http://community.webtv.net/irislynx/PONDWORKS
RavenBuck, I could have made a big long waterfall, But, For the spot it was in, I chose to make a short one.
Tig & Ruby, You should have seen all the wildlife attracted to it in the short time time that it's been there!! I even have a couple of bullfrogs that have buried themselves in the pots on the bottom for the winter. The birds are very attracted to it also ! ... Tig, I think you'll be really happy when you get your's set up in the spring.
Good Luck to you all!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Iris: I love your fishing boy, you couldn't have found a better place for him to sit. Lovely waterfalls and pond too.

Raphine, VA(Zone 6b)

Iris, it is beautiful!
I love the way you raised it to capture focal.
I want my falls to run down, split and come back together into the bottom pond.
From the looks mine is more sloped too.
You did a great job!!

Iris how pretty. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I wish I could do a pond just a simple one to start with would be nice. would it be very expensive to do a simple one? no waterfall just a pond? My huge yard could use a water feature.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Debby, Thankyou! I was so happy when my DH got me that fishing boy :-) !! ~ Now I'm in search of "The Great Blue Herons" and "Egrets" That are made of poly-resin and can stand in the water (They have 'real-looking' legs - Not wire ) I found some that I can order, Just have to decide which company to order it from! LOL! I think they would make an awsome addition to the pond.
RavinBuck, Thankyou! ..The front ar of the pond slopes back a bit, So I had to work against the gravity a bit to get it right. I've seen some pictures of "split fall's" and they are awsome! A bit more work, But well worth it! I wish I could be there to see your plans and offer some help. From the sound of what you want , I think the more slope you have, The better! I wish you Lot's of luck, If I were there to help you, I would.
Midwestsnowbird, Thank's! And I'm happy to share pic's! :o) .... I don't know what yor idea of exspensive is, But , I can say that I myself am on a very, very, limited budget, And have made 3 pond's so far, So in my own opinion, I don't believe it would too expensive for you to have one ( Especially if you do all the work yourself - I have done both 'lined and pre-formed and in my opinion,Pre-formed is a lot easier) I'll try to find a pic of my oher pre-formed and put it on here, It wasn't really expensive, So when I get it on here , Take a look and let me know what you think and from there, could tell you aboout what it would cost if you would like that size or smaller or bigger, Also with the pre-formed, You can pretty much have it in the ground the day you get it ... OK, I'm off hunting for a pic ... I'll be back
OK Back!! . Sorry I took so long, My web's been having technical difficulties for a while!! All set again now though ( Thank God! )
I found some pic's of my smaller pond if you care to take a look .. The cost really wasn't too baat all ...> http://community.webtv.net/irislynx/MYSMALLPOND

This message was edited Sunday, Dec 30th 9:37 PM

Iris it looks great!!!!!! I have a second preformed pond to put in after Easter! DH wants to also put in another with a liner (yikes) and add the waterfall! I showed him yours because I just think it looks awesome!!!!!!!
By the way all the new pic's look great including the little fishing boy!!!!!!
I don't know if you guys have ever heard of www.abcdistributing.com but they have a catalog that has GREAT stuff including alot of garden things! Check it out!
sue

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thankyou Ruby42!! ....Wow, Your second one after Easter, I bet your anxious!!! Do you have any pic's of your first one??? ...Would love to see it!! Is it a big or small one?? I must say, Once one gets started with the 'ponding' -It's hard to stop!!! - It is for me anyway! LOL! ....I had a 'liner pond' in the very beginning ( I found it to be a bit harder then the pre-formed to put in ) I had to take it out because I had put it in too close to the trees - Everything keep falling into it ( Whaoo , especially the leaves in the fall! ...Even with the netting on, the leaves would fall through it! ..Plus it didn't get the sun it needed ....."Beginner's mistakes!!" LOL ...Live and learn ...I also found that things would always get stuck in the creases in the liner, Like the algea and leaves and dirt, It was a pain in the butt to clean, But, Iv'e seen other peoples ponds who used liners and they look great and they don't have the same problems I had, I think it had a lot to do with the fact that the 'liner pond' was my first pond experiment ..All in all tho ...I like pre-formed better! LOL!
Thankyou for the website, I'm going to go and check it out as soon as I'm done writing this ( I'll have to give you some websites ( If you want them) There are some really good ones that I saved)
I noticed that you are from New Jersey ... I've been down that way in the fall to watch the bird migration at "Cape May" ...I love it there! Have you ever gone to that?
Well, I suppose I should get going here, Let me know how you make out with your pond ok and post some pic's if you can ... P.S. I posted pic's of my smaller pond for Midwesternsnowbird, Feel free to take a look if you want ....>http://community.webtv.net/irislynx/MYSMALLPOND
Bye4Now, Irislynx

Raphine, VA(Zone 6b)

this is my pond after we put it back in last Spring. A cat ripped a hole in the liner after the fish.
http://www.geocities.com/me_24472/secondpondview.jpg

This is after the plants grew.
http://www.geocities.com/me_24472/summerpond.jpg

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

RavenBuck, I would love to see the pic's, But, Everytime I try, It keeps giving me te message " Publisher refuses to give you access to the requested page" :-( ...Darn! ... I sure would have liked to see it ~ Thank's for trying RavinBuck.

Iris, I will try to get a couple pic's of the pond. It is a preformed one and so is the second one. They are both 150 gallons! You are right it sure seemed big when I put in it but not any more!!!!
Now about cape may, you were right down the street from me!!!!! I have never gone to see the birds but I sure want you to let me know when you head down this way again!!!!! I would love to meet you!!!! (compare pond stories)
sue

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Great Sue, I look forward to seeing the pic's! 150 gallons _ Thats what I got at the water falls..1's 150 and the other is 160 ~ I was thinking of making another "huge' one, But, I have a natural stream and falls right at the beginning of my property that has plenty of turtles and frogs and plant life and such, So I guess I have enough _ I'llshow you a pic sometime when I find it, It has a 'large' volume of water!!.. It's right at the beginning of the land and I made the other ponds because I wanted ponds that were closer to the house.
Wow! Right down the road from you!! Wish I had known you at that time!! I'll be sure to let you know the next time we go, I'd love to meet you and share some pond stories ( Plus I'd get a up close look at your ponds!! LOL! ) ... Got a couple pond sites for you to check out if you want ~> http://www.pondsolutions.com/pond-online-course.htm
http://www.geocities.com/rabid_dawg2000/watergarden.html
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/ponds/?19117 <~~~ Check out the "Looking For Merchants?" " Garden Bizarre" on this one.

Ok I am going to have to try it in the spring. That would look beautiful in my yard! Please email me any advice. But i also live where it gets very cold in winter so i will have to check that part out to. All your pictures are so pretty. :)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Great! I know you will really enjoy it once you have it set up, When your ready in the spring, Just e-mail me about anything you have questions about and I will help you the best I can ~ WhereAbouts do you live? ...I'm in Connecticut myself, And, It can get pretty cold here in the winter also ~ For the years that I have had the smaller ponds, I have never had a problem in the winter ~ I use a small 'bird-bath" heater to keep the water open in the winter, And the fish and plants have always done fine.
Thankyou so much for the compliments on the ponds ...I really do enjoy the ponds alot! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.