crossing herbs?

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

I have 2 kinds of dill, basil, and oregano. Is it OK to plant these together? Or do I have to worry about them crossing?

Trish

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Trish: The Dills would cross with each other as they are both dills. Otherwise, you can plant the three together. You are not to plant dill and fennel close to each other, they don't like each other and will not grow as well, so keep them in different areas of the garden or in different gardens. Basils are supposed to make tomatoes taste better and grow better.

Sorry- I should clarify- I have 2 types of dill, 2 types of basil, and 2 types of oregano.

So, Debby- my understanding is that they _will_ cross among themselves (the basil with each other, the dill with each other, ect), and I should seperate them- right?

Do you think 20 feet or so will be OK? Sorry to both you, but I just can't seem to find any info on crossing with the herbs :)

Trish

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Trish: If you are going to save seed from your basils and dills, then yes you would want them separated. How far is a very tricky question. Some would say 20 feet is not far enough distance. I've got different varieties of poppies that are 20 to 30 ft. apart and so far they haven't intermingled. I would say if the bees have other veggies, flowers between to wipe their feet on[so to say] you would problably be okay with the 20 ft. Keep the oreganos separated to keep them true and to let you know which variety is which. They have a beautiful bloom that dries very well and the blooms smell wonderful when dried.

Thanks, Debby- I'll seperate them into different gardens. Dave might have a few additions to the big garden that he doesn't know about yet! :)

Trish

Lancaster, CA

Hi Trish,

In exchange for distance (between dills for example) you could consider interplanting them with other plants (vegies other herbs whatever). Seems like bees and other pollinators like to go to plants within a clump but won't necessarily go looking for the similar plants elsewhere. Does that make sense to you? I've watched bees in my garden go from pepper to pepper to pepper but not be interested in the celeriac that's blooming right next to them. So if you plant all the Rubens red basil in between the Cherokee purple tomatoes and plant the lettuce leaf basil over there between the squash you have an even better chance they won't get crossed.

Hope that makes sense LOL
Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.