stupid question

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Mark? We were discussing this last night. My son wanted a bat house for Christmas. Searched everywhere and came up with one about two and a half feet high. ( with a picture of a bat on it.) Made of cedar, but its got three slots on the bottom. No windows. No directions either. How do those things get inside the house? If they hang upside down, is there a way they can walk upside down up into the house? Theres no place for them to hang inside, no floor to keep them from falling out. Is this thing made correctly? Wouldn't it make more sense if the holes were in the top so they would find it easier to lower themselves upside down from the top, so they wouldn't fall out?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The bats will enter from the bottom. They will not want windows to let light in and the holes on the top or sides would let in too much cold air as well. The ones I saw did have a wire screen inside for them to hold onto. Sorry I lost the link to the pattern and instructions but when Mark shows up he will probably be able to furnish one for you.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh thank you! I thought perhaps something was missing or done wrong. The person at the garden center where I purchased it didn't know anything about it either, and after I had gotten it home and really looked at it, I began to have doubts that it was all there. Doesn't seem to be any wire inside, but basically it's o.k. then, it seems. Thanks for letting me know a bit about it. Doris

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

DJM are you in the UK? if so I could talk you better about siting your box

Mark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.