Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Well, I officially have ice on my pond. Looks really cool! I have a "bubbler" in the middle keeping a hole. I suppose now would be a good time to put the heater in..ya think? I also have 3 pumps running. Do you think I should shut down 2 and leave the one running with the bubbler? And string algae....boy do I have lots of that. Is it true that the fish will eat it during the winter months? I read that somewhere but didn't know if it was true. You know, I could have sworn I saw my fish shivering this morning. lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys!! "T" :)

Better knit some sweaters for your little fishies so they stay warm or maybe a heating pad. hehe

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Sledder, Sorry but your fish wont eat anything after the water temp goes below 50' and the string algae will only slow down growing a little. Your best thing is to get as much of the string algae out of the pond asap.
Then add the heater. As for the pumps, shut them down or the water at the bottom of the pond will get to cold for the fish, remember that the pumps circulate the water,bottom to top, that means it pulls cold water to the bottom of the pond,fish can freeze. And next spring, get a bale of barley straw asap into the water. This will really help with the string algae.
I put mine under the waterfall so the water can run through it, last about three months.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you!! "T" :)

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Sledder,
Neighbors husband just gave me a bottle of Pond Care Algaefix
I always wondered how she kept the algae out of her pond. This is her secret. It came from Crystal Palace Prennials, in St Johns, Ind. www. crystalpalaceperennial.com. I have been there and their ponds and (excuse the pun) are crystal clear.Wonderful place.
The web address on the bottle is www.pondcare.com, I'm going to use it with my barley straw.Any thing beats string algae.
Annabelle 15

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey Anna: I owe you a BIG THANK YOU!! I did the heater thing the other day and shut off 2 of the pumps. Within 24 hours my ice was gone. My fish were actually moving around alittle. I didn't expect them to be swimming around like in the spring/summer but at least they were moving. As for the string algae I keep trying to gather it with my toilet brush (yes, it's clean).lol I'm sure the neighbors get a chuckle out of it. I don't think I'm gonna use a chemical during the winter months but definitely will in the spring. If I don't it's gonna be a very ugly water garden. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.