pruning cherries and apples

Olympia, WA

i know that the first few years of pruning are important in determining how a tree turns out later on shape wise
i have a cherry tree and an apple tree that are approcching 9feet. i don't think that they have ever been pruned. can i just chop of the top or do i need to get into the zen of pruning- ie is there a specific technique to learn before i touch it.

Hampton, GA(Zone 7b)

No...please don't just chop off the top. There is a specific way to prune apple trees,,,,,,not sure about cherry. I used to work in apple orchards in WA. State. We used the central leader method. See if you can find instructions for that. If you can't, email me and I will send you directions.

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

PULEEZE, don't chop off the top, quynh. I'll get you some instructions for pruning and BRB.

Terri

Apple and cherry trees should be trained to a central leader. Here's the info:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/ag29.html

Olympia, WA

thank you. oh boy is this a process. why is it then that a lot of the trees i've seen look like they've had the tops chopped of- flat on top with wide spreading limbs

Glen Arm, MD(Zone 7a)

Some trees are trained to an open vase.I use central on our apples and asian pears and open vase on our peaches.

Olympia, WA

okay so it may take a little more to get all this into my head.
i read the directions you gave me pete2 but am having trouble making it apply to my trees. these trees are about 3-5 years old i think. most of the directions were for starting at younger ages. it looks like they havent had any care. the apple tree was planted right next to the chain link fence and the trunk ended up growing through it, poor thing. will probably move it too. its grown abit weird- the top has starting to go side ways, the top is now at least a foot maybe two from the trunk and the cherry...i got 1 cherry out of the tree last year, it was delicious but only 1.
i think i can figure out the cherry by the instructions, but would it be okay if i posted a picture of the apple and get some suggestions? i don't know what to do about the top going sideways. :(

Sure,quynh. :)

Terri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.