Guy planting my tree HACKED at the TOP of the soil around the tree.

Crystal Lake, IL

Guy planting my tree HACKED at the TOP of the soil around the tree to make it fit the small hole he dug.

He dug the hole only about 2" wider than the pot, dropped the tree in to see if it was deep enough. He was frustrated at the rocks and clay in the soil. He dropped the tree in and began to hack the top of the soil to make it look like it was level with the existing lawn. I was shocked and furious.

I called the store and told them to either fix it or come remove the trees, return the soil and grass and give me my money back. The guy's boss called after he spoke with his guys and he sounded annoyed with me. He explained how you loosen the root ball.
I explained that I have been a gardener for 30 years, planted trees and shrubs and did my research with tree planting how-tos from garden sites and nurseries. ALL of them said at MINIMUM you dig hole 2 times the size of the container, especially in clay soil. And that I understand roots get damages at the BOTTOM part of the root ball, a little at the lower sides, NOT the top.

He says he will guarantee the tree but they have a one yr guarantee like most places around here.

I am beyond angry that we paid over $500 to have two trees planted in the wrong size holes and one hacked the way it was. The kid who hacked the top of the soil around the tree is apparently very new. The guy he was with was in the back while he did this in the front.

I watched the kid pile good soil around the outer perimeter grass to make it look like the hole was wider than it really was.

Any advice? I don't trust that my new maple is going to be ok and I don't trust that the boss is going to keep his word. I asked him to put his guarantee in writing and email it to me.

Wow, that sounds really frustrating! You’re absolutely right about the proper way to plant trees, especially in challenging soil https://halloweensquishmallows.store/. Hopefully, they resolve this for you quickly. Maybe it's worth considering a different service if they don't handle it well.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2024 4:32 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.