Red Bark Japanese Maples

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for some experience and explanations on the coral and red bark Japanese Maples. I have a Sango Kaku that always has coral coloured bark, no matter the season. I have a client who just had their landscape installer plant two Sango Kaku's but I am not convinced they that are. These j.maples have brown/green bark and a dull green leaf colour. I've contacted the grower and they insist they are Sango Kaku and that the bark will turn coral only in winter. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Courtney

Castro Valley, CA

I have a huge one that must be over 20 years old. From what I remember when I first got it, the bark from the trunk up was dark pink/red which is why I bought it. Over the years as the tree grew, the trunk stayed more green brown but all the shoots out of the trunk were vivid dark pink/red.

The leaf color is a chartreuse in spring then deepens in green color but in fall the leaves turn yellow and again next to the pink/red bark is just wonderful.

I have read that in colder weather the bark turns more vivid pink/red. I do not think age has anything to do with it for even young ones have that desired color. Where is this tree located? Is it in a very warm climate?

Interesting to note, I had a very bad Japanese Maple addiction. It was when it was hard to find the rarer colorful varieties. I traveled far and wide looking for them and bought many online to be sent to me. I had quite a collection worth money. But then I brought in Verticillium Wilt. and 1 by 1 each one died. I was devastated. My Sangu Kaku was the only one that survived.

Scroll thru these photos for what is normal.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31538/

Thanks Zily Zily, that's very helpful. I will keep my eye on the client's trees and see if I can prune some colour into it. I too am developing an addiction to these beautiful specimens. How can we avoid the verticillium wilt?

Castro Valley, CA

I do not know if you can avoid verticillium wilt. I guess the best defense is to keep any new plants in isolation for awhile to see if it develops symptoms of it or any disease. Inspect all plants well before buying them.

Even after suffering such a huge loss, a few years later I was at Filoli, a historic house and garden open to the public (well worth a visit). I succumbed to another JM - the 1st and the last one I bought after my disaster. And gee, I totally failed again. I get it home and as I am admiring it, I see the blacked die back on some stems. I could not believe I had not checked it more carefully before I bought it.

The thing is Japanese Maples are very susceptible to it. Once you allow it in, it can go right thru your yard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.