Clusia (Pitch Apple) Wilting; Please Help!

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 10a)

Hello--

My experience with the Clusia Rosea--also known as Pitch Apple and Autograph Tree--has been that it's a bulletproof shrub that's perfect for where I live: on an island off the Gulf Coast of FL (zone 10a) with sandy soil, long periods of drought, and occasional flooding with brackish water. These usually require 0 maintenance. Just planted a dozen or so 15-gal clusias in full sun along the property line, and while all are showing a bit of leaf yellowing from the shock of nursery-to-full-sun, they all seem to be fine save for one.

The one in question is showing badly-wilted leaves. The branches themselves are strong and there is no sign of leaf drop, though in the 3-4 weeks since they were planted, this one clusia is not improving (nor getting worse, curiously). We are in the hottest part of the summer here where it's 95º every day, and thus the soil dries quickly. I have been watering @2 times every three days, but to no avail.

Any suggestions or advice as to how I may revive it? Should I expect this one to spring back over time, or is it too far gone? I would love to know what happened here.

Thanks for your assistance.

Thumbnail by RBLick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.