Tomato 'Giant Tree' (Lycopersicon lycopersicum)

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Farmerdill,

Are those the tomatoes that are supposed to grow 15 feet tall? I have seen such a tomato advertised in a magazine with someone picking tomatoes while standing on a stepladder. I guess magazine ads might exaggerate a little.

ZM

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This thing is humongous. I am growing them in a cage( 4 inch mesh, 5 ft ) without pruning and the y currently about 8 feet tall. Should do much more than that pruned to a single leader and trellised. I remember the old Burgess ad for their Tripl-L-Crop variety. My neighbor at the time called them on it. Planted one in ground beside his house, Pruned to a single leader, plenty of water and fertilizer, and trellis on a TV antenna tower. We measured the mature vine 25 feet. Actually went past a second story window. This variety looks very similar and could be a descendent. Not using a stepladder as the weight of fruits pulled vines down so that they sprawl over the cage tops.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow! So Tripl-L-Crop was real. Johnny's sells grafting stuff so you can graft a fruitful tomato variety on a powerful rootstock tomato variety, much like the grape growers do. And Johnny's has a few rootstock tomato variety seeds. For raw eating, I prefer the little seedless tomatoes. They can grow maybe six feet high in a cage.

ZM (not associated with any product or vendor mentioned)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.