What Is Going On With My Wisteria?

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

I've had my Wisteria vine for over 15 years . Every Spring it blooms profusely before the leaves emerge, in late April or very early May at the latest. This year it never broke dormancy and I feared it was dead. I beat the vine soundly to encourage the sap to flow. The vine looked dead but when I scraped the bark it showed green. It is now late June. The trees are all leafed out, the Quince, Spirea and Cardinal shrub as well as Clematis have flowered last week and now the hydrangeas are starting to flower. Even my Oriental Lilies have flower buds on them! My Wisteria is just now starting to bud out and show young leaves. Of course it's too late to get any flowers. I'm just glad it finally decided to break dormancy although two months overdue.
Does anyone have an inkling as to why this year its schedule is way off? Has anyone also had trouble with their Wisteria this year? My sister's Wisteria broke dormancy well over two months ago, but she got only a few flowers compared to other years. I wonder if this was just a bad year for Wisteria vines?

This message was edited Jun 21, 2023 3:04 AM

This message was edited Jun 22, 2023 7:36 AM

Thumbnail by SabraKhan Thumbnail by SabraKhan Thumbnail by SabraKhan Thumbnail by SabraKhan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.