Removing roots from pot or raised bed required?

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8b)

I had a photinia type plant in a large pot. It did ok for a few years but this year it looked dead. I pull out the plant/soil from the pot and put it in my raised bed. I had to let it dry out a bit since there were a lot of small roots holding the dirt into the shape of the pot. I wasn't sure if it was the photinia plant root or some other roots that grew in there over time. After a day I was able to break down the soil. Do I need to remove all the roots by sifting before using the dirt again? I will put another plant into the pot and not sure if those small roots will grow back and cause a problem. Thanks.

Thumbnail by greenplum
Castro Valley, CA

I doubt the little root bits will be a problem unless the plant died because it was diseased. Some plant diseases contaminate the soil and then the soil needs to be bagged and disposed of so to not spread the disease to your new plants.

If your plant died in your flower bed from a disease that can spread, it is best not to plant a similar plant there for several years as they maybe susceptible to the disease too.

Also if a plant was in that potting soil for 3 years, I doubt it has much of the good things left in it that will promote good vigorous plant growth. I always disposed of my used soil.I used in pots.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2023 10:01 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.