SOLVED: Please identify this stem/root from Hawaii

Durham, NC

Hello. When my wife and I were in Hawaii she bought several plants. This one didn’t make it. What is this root/stem so that I can order a new one?

Thumbnail by pcwoodring
San Francisco, CA

Perhaps a plumeria.
If you want a better chance with that, order from a mainland company like ExoticPlumeria; mainland companies can send rooted plants that are well established.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2023 11:22 AM

Castro Valley, CA

Sure looks like a plumeria. I am an expert on them. LOL Killing them that is. What I have learned after so many attempts at them, if you live where they do not like, they are just not going to grow for you. I had a friend who was obsessed by them and grew them into trees. I was so jealous, and in lust, so I just kept trying to no avail.

Is that mushy or just dehydrated?

If just dehydrated, I would replant it in wet soil, bag the entire thing in a clear plastic bag, sealed. The bag should have some condensation build on inside. Put out of direct sunlight or it will be steamed dead. And see if it plumps back up for you. No need to open bag till it looks recovered and the growth tip starts to show life. Then you slowly pull down plastic bag over a few days to get it used to loss of humidity.

It can take weeks for 1 to root. This may rot it or let it rehydrate.

Durham, NC

ZilyZily thanks for the advice. I will try it out and let you know the results.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.