What is your favorite Ilex Opaca?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I am starting a yard in mid-Cape Cod. First order of business is to replace all the many invasives over time. I have always wanted to plant American holly so now is the chance. The site is sometimes very windy, technically Zone 7 but I have doubts about that. I have picked out some of the apparently well-known cultivars, 'Martha's Vinyard' Satyr Hill, Mary Holman, Torchbearer, Dan Fenton, Lacquerberry Arlene Leach for quick growth, Merry Christmas and Arthurs pride for a male. Some will be specimens and some will be hedge plants. Any suggestions before I click buy?

North Plains, OR

Any of the variegated holly’s are great some with spiky leaves others no.

Just do a google for your zone. They are slow grower easy care and display red berries in winter.

Thumbnail by Aster101 Thumbnail by Aster101
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hi RosemaryK:

Good luck with your American Holly (Ilex opaca) collection and plantings. The selections you've mentioned are fine clones, and you should be happy with them.

As a long time member of the Holly Society of America, and having spent 8 years in leadership in that august organization through its 70th anniversary in 2017, I have more than a passing interest in gardeners' successes with this great genus of plants. I'm also a big fan of the history of the organization and the great people that have populated and promoted these plants over the decades. The Cape Cod area has had more than its share of illustrious members, and you might want to consider the modest membership to join the HSA so that you can take advantage of all the benefits of "Knowing and Growing More Holly".

One of the finest gentlemen I came to know over those years is Bill Cannon of Brewster, MA (BROO - stah to you). He has an amazing Holly collection on his modest property, and has sold/distributed excellent plants for many years. A wealth of knowledge and generous to a fault, he would probably invite you to tour his plants and provide you every bit of information you can imagine (if you were an HSA member).

I have some very good documents relating to history of American Holly and people associated with developing and amplifying its use on Cape Cod. I will send you a separate Dmail, and see if you want to exchange information so that I can forward documentation like this to you.

Of the ones you mentioned, I have grown 'Satyr Hill' and 'Dan Fenton'. I also really like 'Jersey Princess', 'Judy Evans', 'Farage', 'Lady Alice', 'Portia Orton', and 'Magna Semen'.

Here are images of a couple excellent American Holly selections made by Mr. Wilfrid Wheeler of Cape Cod over a century ago:

**'St. Mary'
**'Freeman'

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm sold on the membership! It will be a long-term project but I'm itching to get started. I haven't hit buy yet but but I think seeing some other gardens will be very inspiring. I have been to Polly Hill on the Vinyard, and itch to go back. One of my neighbors is an afficiando of ilex opaca. Truth is, the house itself needs a lot of work, so my weekends will be busy. indoors and outside I'm not opposed to a few variegated hollies either, so thank you, too, Aster 101.

Keep at it, Rosemary. Look for more local sources than just buying what you might see online - from faraway places that cost a bunch to ship.

HSA is the way. You will find generous people who will offer knowledge and experience, and often more plants than you can find a place to implement. That means that you can then contribute to your NEIGHBORS' landscapes, improving your borrowed scenery.

-- 'Ayr-Way'
--'Cheerful'
--'Dan Fenton'
--'Portia Orton'
--an absolutely humongous specimen in Maymont Park, Richmond VA

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
New York City, NY

My favorite Ilex Opaca is the American Holly. It's a beautiful evergreen shrub that is native to North America, and it has glossy dark green foliage and small white flowers that bloom in the spring. The foliage turns a deep red in the winter, making it look even more beautiful. It's a great plant to add to any landscape as it is low maintenance and easy to care for.

Hi bertramegon:

Just so others don't get confused: Ilex opaca IS American Holly. There are many cultivated named selections of American Holly, in addition to naturally occurring plants originating as seedlings.

I would only disagree with your one statement: "The foliage turns a deep red in the winter, making it look even more beautiful."

Ilex opaca is a broadleaf evergreen, and its leaves do NOT turn red in the winter. You may be describing a different species that may behave that way, but American Holly's leaves are green until they are shed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.